• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhead console light(?) question

klonestar

NAXJA Forum User
90' Cherokee Laredo overhead console has a small round item that looks like it may be a light and appears to maybe be red glass or plastic cover. Its only 1/4 to 3/8" diameter. Whats it for?

The Package seems to be a fully loaded version ie: full power windows, seats, mirrors, etc..

Also noticed a switch on the dash that says something like: HD/Highway Comfort or something like that. Whats this?

Sorry but dont have the vehicle here, bought it sight unseen, and only saw it for the third time today. (first time in daylight and ambient temp above -30)

Thanks,
Ken

The little round thing is for keyless entry. The switch is for your tranny it changes the shift points. If your temp is off on the ohc the temp sensor located in the front bumper might need to be replaced.

xray said:
The switch is for your tranny it changes the shift points.

I suspect you have the towing package upgrade. (Larger Alternator, transmission cooler ahead of the Rad, etc)

The keyless entry is weak at best. It's infrared (line of sight)

You should enjoy your truck with the full load. I know I do.
icon14.gif

FRAM said:
I suspect you have the towing package upgrade. (Larger Alternator, transmission cooler ahead of the Rad, etc)

The keyless entry is weak at best. It's infrared (line of sight)

You should enjoy your truck with the full load. I know I do.
icon14.gif

This may well be the case. I will check the above next time I get a chance. It does have a two hitch which appears to be factory install and looking at whats left of the rear leaf springs id say it was used heavly to tow.

Thanks,
Ken

FRAM said:
The "Power/Comfort" switch was a standard feature on the early AW-4 tranny behind the 4.0L Renix engine. With the advent of the High-Output 4.0L in '91 the tranny was permanently 'wired' into Power mode.

klonestar said:
It does have a two hitch which appears to be factory install

That's a good thing - if it's a factory-install hitch, you may have the auxiliary transmission cooler as well. Check to make sure, because if the hitch was fitted after sale by, say, a dealer, the tranny cooler may not have made it in at the same time. Seeing if you have the auxiliary cooler is pretty easy: look through the front of the grille. At the back, you should see the radiator, in front of that is the A/C condenser, in front of that (much smaller and at the bottom) is the auxiliary tranny cooler. Should look similar to this:

Code:
[CENTER]
      Front view:        Side View:

+--------------------+         +-+
|      RADIATOR      |       +-+ |
+--------------------+       |C|R|
|      CONDENSER     |       |O|A|
|                    |       |N|D|
|    +----------+    |     +-+D| |
|    |  COOLER  |    |     |*| | |
+----+----------+----+     +-+-+-+

* COOLER
                      (At front)
[/CENTER]

and looking at whats left of the rear leaf springs id say it was used heavly to tow.

Stock XJ leafs suck - that's all there is to it. Sagged rear springs are pretty common.

Last edited:
Yucca-Man said:
The "Power/Comfort" switch was a standard feature on the early AW-4 tranny behind the 4.0L Renix engine. With the advent of the High-Output 4.0L in '91 the tranny was permanently 'wired' into Power mode.

Cool. I drive around in "Comfort" mode all the time. What should I expect from power mode? I assumed it was for towing. Well the manual said it was.

Re: alternator, I'm not sure but I remember reading the original 1990 model year Brochure stating the towing package came with those upgrades. I suspect if you have the tranny cooler as drawn by casm (very cool code ;) ) you should have the upgraded alternator.

Now if it has been replace since the factory who knows?

The 'Comfort' mode changed the shift points to a lower RPM, and allows the tranny to slip a bit more during the shift. This can build up heat in the tranny fluid though.

Back