• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hand throttle

vegasrndll

NAXJA Forum User
xj geeks with manual trannies might try putting a bike handbrake lever hooked to the throttle linkage on the shift lever,then you can keep a foot on the brake and clutch when manuvering in a tight spot and rev the motor with your hand.

vegasrndll said:
xj geeks with manual trannies might try putting a bike handbrake lever hooked to the throttle linkage on the shift lever,then you can keep a foot on the brake and clutch when manuvering in a tight spot and rev the motor with your hand.

Huh?
Why did you post this here?
Also, there is no need to use the brake, clutch, and gas at the same time assuming your rig is geared properly and you know how to drive.

I find it handy when you're on a steep grade and starting to let out the clutch to be able to rev the motor a bit without having to heel and toe it(just my two cents worth)

I’ve seen similar write ups before. Good MOD

If you have trouble doing heel-and-toe you can use your feet for gas and clutch, and use the emergency brake for braking. Release the e-brake as you feel the clutch starting to catch.

Of course, a hand throttle is still useful for controlling the idle when winching, jump-starting another vehicle, and so on.

dmillion said:
If you have trouble doing heel-and-toe you can use your feet for gas and clutch, and use the emergency brake for braking. Release the e-brake as you feel the clutch starting to catch.

Of course, a hand throttle is still useful for controlling the idle when winching, jump-starting another vehicle, and so on.
Some of us have foot brakes, so doing that is really tough. I'll probably be adding a hand throttle on the dash sometime, but it's more a poor man's cruise control than anything else. Driving 6 hours to WF sucked with no cruise.

vegasrndll said:
I find it handy when you're on a steep grade and starting to let out the clutch to be able to rev the motor a bit without having to heel and toe it(just my two cents worth)
I had a hand throttle and I think it was a waste of time and effort: proper gearing is the key and from the sound of it if you need to rev the motor while letting the clutch out on a steep hill, your gears are not deep enough: adressing the problem (gears) rather then the symptom will be better in the long run.

I hear Yellaheep's got a nice one...for no particular reason. (smiles)

The hand throttle is good if you're driving over a level but undulating surface. You can drive much smoother 'cause your foot isn't bouncing up and down on the gas as the jeep goes up and down.

aardvark4x4 said:
The hand throttle is good if you're driving over a level but undulating surface. You can drive much smoother 'cause your foot isn't bouncing up and down on the gas as the jeep goes up and down.
Or you can place your foot at an angle along the center "hump" and press your gas pedal that way. This smooths out the ride as your foot is not pressing straight down on the gas pedal anymore when you hit a bump.

*nod* .. i was sitting there thinking "I"ve never had that problem..", but i guess pressing the gas peddle is an acquired skill.. ;)

cal said:
*nod* .. i was sitting there thinking "I"ve never had that problem..", but i guess pressing the gas peddle is an acquired skill.. ;)
LOL I think everyone has that problem... but I don't think that the hand throttle is the best fix for it because if something happens and you need to let of the gas ASAP it's not as easy with the hand throttle as it is with lifting the foot of. As I mentioned leaning the foot against the hump helps a lot and after someone showed me that it was a night and day difference.
Granted the hand throttle is great for other reasons before mentioned: keeping the idle up for winching or OBA. As I said before: I had the hand throttle and I didn't see it being too practical especially in rocks as the amount of gas supplied had to be varied as the vehicle moved and the hand throttle doesn't have the same amount of sensitivity that the gas pedal does.
My current setup includes an electronic hand throttle tied into my cruise control buttons but I use it only when flossing my jeep ;)

I bought a hand throttle when I first started wheeling. I never used it for it's "intended" purpose. The only time I ever use it is when I'm winching someone, I just lock it with the RPM's up.

aardvark4x4 said:

Seat time will fix that.

Jes said:
Huh?
Also, there is no need to use the brake, clutch, and gas at the same time assuming your rig is geared properly and you know how to drive.
Might be necessary to control torsen.

gearwhine said:
I bought a hand throttle when I first started wheeling. I never used it for it's "intended" purpose. The only time I ever use it is when I'm winching someone, I just lock it with the RPM's up.

I've got one on my auto strictly for kicking RPMs up a little, originally for OBA. I can lock it in place, too. Cost me $8 from the local bike shop.

Jes said:
Huh?

I forgot to turn off my lights off once. The battery died. I jumpstarted the jeep, but the engine kept dying on idle. Had to keep my foot on the gas all the time for the first half an hour of driving. It's fun to brake without lifting your foot off the gas. Don't know whether it has anything to do with ability to drive though.

Back