• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help, I need a quick shock mount fix.

Powerman

NAXJA Forum User
I'm installing a bastard MJ leaf pack. I went to remove the nut off the lower shock mounting stud, and it snapped right off. For something permanent, I would be on the phone right now seeing if any of my friends could weld for me, but later I will also swap my axle. I want to have my new axle in by the end of the month, so my D35 will go by by. What could I do to limp along till then. I don't want to run with out a shock, but I suppose I could. I was thinking hose clamps to keep the shock on. The stud is still there, just the treads snaped off. Any ideas? I will be continuing my install but will check back through the day. Thanks

Ya, I don't have a welder. I did think maybe cut the stud off. Drill hole, put in bolt. Do you think that would last a month of city driving?

For just city driving I would think that would hold up fine if you use a grade 8 and the stock bracket isn't rusted to he!!. If you can, try to find a bolt that has a non-threaded portion long enough for the shock eye to ride on.

I've seen guys relocating their shock mounts for permanent use that weld angle onto the bottom of the axle tube with a bolt going through it and it's held up fine. They do tack the bolt on, but it's usually just to keep it from spinning when they're working on the shocks so they don't have to get a wrench on it.

Maybe drill and tap a slightly smaller bolt into the stud? Or if you have enough sleeve left, drill a whole and run a washer and cotter pin in it

Happened to me about 4 months ago..

My local Advance auto had a replacement kit in one of the 'help' aisles for pretty cheap. New stud with bushings. I ground what was left of the old bolt flush with the mount, then drilled the rest out to mount the replacement, works great :)

Well its nice to see that I'm not alone in my misadventures in bolt removal. I did the same thing earlier today with the same result. The threaded part snapped off of the mount so I'm left with a little stump. Oddly enough, all the other bolts came off without any problem.

Unfortunatly I had to go to work so my shock is being held on right now by (Don't yell at me, I'm new!) two, 100lb test, zap straps.

I plan to cut the rest of the stump off, drill it out and weld on a grade 8 bolt + washer.

Thanks for the help in the previous posts and I'm glad I signed up.

Back