• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 transfercase

John Acconi said:
Does anybody know if anyone makes a 4 to 1 for the 242.

TTBOMK, there is no 'internal' 4:1 kit sold specifically for a 242. It may be possible to adapt a Teraflex 231 kit to it, but, failing that, your only option is a divorced underdrive.

Out of curiosity, what are you looking to accomplish with the modded case?

I have a YJ with and atlas 4.33 and would like my XJ to have the same 4 to 1 but I also would like to keep the part time 4 wheel if I can. I'm statring to build up the XJ to be a family wheeling rig. Maybe the way to go is with a klune v box with the 242.

John Acconi said:
I have a YJ with and atlas 4.33 and would like my XJ to have the same 4 to 1 but I also would like to keep the part time 4 wheel if I can. I'm statring to build up the XJ to be a family wheeling rig. Maybe the way to go is with a klune v box with the 242.

That could conceivably work. Just bear in mind that the 242 is rated for approximately two-thirds the maximum torque of the 231 (roughly 1400lb/ft vs. 2000lb/ft respectively, if memory serves). Working in extreme amounts of underdrive may cause you to end up with a 242-shaped grenade under there.

Back