• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do i get my steering stabilizer off??

redneckjeeper94

NAXJA Forum User
I got the pin out of the nut that attaches the ss to the drag link and the nut off but i coundnt get the bolt out after that...i noticed that it had like sort of a nut on the other side too but i couldnt turn it and i couldnt beat the thing out of the drag link but nothing was working....wut am i doing wrong guys?

I've read posts that succeeded by hammer, by puller, by cutting and drilling out, and by torch heating. Or some combination of all four angles of attack.

(that stabilizer bolt is always a bear to get loose because its tapered and usually rusted.)

drawbacks-
a puller may mushroom the bolt and trap it
a torch may roast something unintended
and a Big fucking Hammer is real fucking hard to swing down there unless you have her on a lift

I would try to cut it off and drill it out if the first three methods fail.

if you use a hammer, you will most likely mushroom the stud,

go the the LAPS and borrow a tie rod end puller, and it will take you about 2 mins to get the thing out. the new steering stabilizer should come with a replacement stud.

-tim

what i did was hook the puller ends onthe drag link where there is a flat spot around the stud and push the stud from the front side, it came out very easily, even tho i tried the hammer for a while.

-tim

I put a 1 foot long 2x4 in the stud and smacked the 2x4 with a mallet twice and it came right off. You cannot reuse the stud and rubber gromlet, you'll never get it out. The new stabilizer should have came with new parts for repalcement, as mentioned above.

Back