• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Bump" in my steering? (not bumpsteer)

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
First I am running the RE 4.5" and everything is tight.

Anyways driving to work in sloooow traffic today I noticed a "bump" or "pop" feeling in the floorboard of my Jeep when I would come to a stop and then hit the gas a little. I figured it was one of my Supeflex joints. Well I am pulling into my driveway tonight after work and feel it again when I turn the steering wheel slightly. Anyways I shut off the Jeep and I can feel it when I move the steering wheel to the right just slightly everytime (even with the Jeep off so its a very slight turn, can't see the tires move at all) and I can feel the "bump" and hear it even on the front driverside fender. Its not loud and I rolled my window down and got outside the Jeep with my right hand on the steering wheel and my head under the fender and hood I couldn't pin point the problem. It sounds like its in the steering shaft area, but heck I don't know. I don't know how to explian the sound, but its more like you can feel it. Its like there is a rough spot in the linkage or something. My tracbar is tight too btw.

Is this just some sort of a dead spot in the steering or what? Problem is I can rember back to this morning and I was going staraight when I felt it.

Last edited:
I had two things that caused a pop in my steering: the axle u joints and a bad hub assembly. Axles are easy to check by grabbing it and seeing if it has ANY movement. Hub is a little more difficult since you need to jack it up.

GirlScout1 said:
I had two things that caused a pop in my steering: the axle u joints and a bad hub assembly. Axles are easy to check by grabbing it and seeing if it has ANY movement. Hub is a little more difficult since you need to jack it up.

Well its not really a pop and its very soft. I can be turning the wheel and it be very smooth and all the sudden I just feel a little notch or bump in the steering and that same feeling I can feel on the outside of the Jeep.

Say I had someone sat in the drivers seat and turn the wheel just slightly like I was maybe 1/4". I could stand outside the Jeep and put my hand on the front fender above the wheelwell and feel it whenever it does it I am quite sure. So I don't think anything on the axle could transfer that "bump" way up to the fender or hood, or no? I am gonna have to check it out in daylight tommorow cause Ihave no clue.

check the following things and make sure they are secure and/or tight...

1) track bar frame-side mount - not the bar itself
2) track bar tie rod end
3) steering knuckle tie rod ends

Thanks, I ma pretty much just gonna try an tighten everything on the front end this weekend and see if it helps. If not it must be in the steerng itself somewhere. Arnt there ball joints on the steering shaft?

Ohh and today going to work you definately feel it in the floorboard and not so much the steering wheel.

Back