• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Built a bender out of a cheap press

87xjco

NAXJA Forum User
Built a bender out of steel and a Harbor Freight 12 ton press. I first purchased the "Pro tools" radius die, follower die, pivot pin and shaft, and the follower die roller and pin
DSC00200.jpg

DSC00201.jpg

It was a bit of trial and error on building the top yoke that the radius die swivels on. When I built the yoke I did not have the cross bar on it. I found that as I started putting pressure on it, the yoke was twisting towards the input side and would bind. The cross bar was added to help prevent that, and then it worked well. You can't see in this photo the two pieces of steel that are welded to the back of the crossbar that keep the yoke from moving.
DSC00202.jpg

Worked good but when first starting to bend the pipe it takes alot of pressure (20 ton press would be better suited for this). But once it starts bending it goes pretty easy.

This was 1 3/4" HREW .120 wall tubing

this goes right along with the "if i cant afford it, i will make it" strategy...

good job, hope it works out well... BTW, how much you got in that contraption?

About $325 not counting the press. Not a great money savings especially if you don't already own the press. But it was alot quicker for me to build it this way than to build a homemade frame for the die and parts I had bought. Mainly because the frame would of had many 1" holes to drill through 1/2" plate.

Ha, I have that same press, all I need to do now is buy "Pro tools" radius die, follower die, pivot pin and shaft, and the follower die roller and pin.... But, could you tell me how you made the homemade frame for that? thanks gonz

The base that the follower die rolls on
DSC00232.jpg

The roller is positioned just slightly higher than the plate that the follower die slides on
DSC00233.jpg

The yoke could be designed and made cleaner. I'll be redoing that, but it works fine. Started with a pipe that fits around the solid peg of the press, Welded flat plates on eack side. then welded pieces of tube to those that the pivot pin and sleeve would slide thru vertically, then welded a couple more pieces of flat steel turned 90 degrees to the first pieces of flat steel for support. Then cut a hole in the cross brace so it would fit around the yoke and tubes and welded it to the yoke, then some tabs on the end of the cross brace to keep it centered in the press.
DSC00234.jpg

Ive got the same press and the JD bender,it would take all day long to get the press to do what a couple of manual pulls would do!

Where did u get that roller from? I am trying to figure out what die parts I need from pro-tools.com

The dies are the expensive part. Buying the bender without the dies is pretty cheap. Nice idea, and glad it works for you, but it's barely a cost savings and looks like much more of a hassle to use.

Boostn said:
Where did u get that roller from? I am trying to figure out what die parts I need from pro-tools.com

The roller is available from pro tools

David Taylor said:
Can you go past a 90degree bend ?

No

Goatman said:
The dies are the expensive part. Buying the bender without the dies is pretty cheap. Nice idea, and glad it works for you, but it's barely a cost savings and looks like much more of a hassle to use.

True, if I hadn't got the dies from a member who was going to build his own press and then decided to buy a used one instead, it would not have been near as cost effective.

Good ingenuity, but its lacks in many ways compared to a real bender.

1) Time consuming to make

2) Time consuming to use

3) Won't bend greater than 90 degrees (yikes)

4) Looks as if its not setup for die changes.

Fullsizexj said:
You know you can get a JD2 model 3 with a stand and 1 die with a degree wheel and handle for $425.00 with is alot cheaper than the route you went since you payed $325.00 just for the die parts and had to buy a press on top of that, check it out
http://www.vansantent.com/model_3_bender.htm

That does NOT come with the die. Everything else minus the die for $429,

"Deluxe Model 3 Tube Bender Kit - Save
Includes Model 3 Bender with degree ring, floor pedestal, magnetic base pointer, and CNC machined handle
"

They used to sell it with one die set of your choice, I know when I bought it, I got one with it, just gotta keep checking back because they do it all the time, I also got the hydro for mine and saved $400.00 on it because they have sales all the time, just gotta keep a look out for it is all

Back