• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aggervating pop from tracbar!

LoneRanger

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so I tried another bracket and it STILL DOES THIS!

when I back up and turn the wheel I get 1-3 loud pops from the trac bar. To find out exacty where I placed the side wall of the tire up against a curb and had my buddy turn the steering wheel from side to side to put a load on the trac bar. sure enough the threaded end of the trac bar that slides up into the drivers side bracket is moving. appears to be moving up and down, and a bit side to side. that is where the pop is comming form. the trac bar bracket is a different one than the original bracket I had on there. this is the second bracket I have put on, so the bracket is not the problem. I have that nut tightened down as tight as I can get it, any more and I think I will either strip the nut, or break my wrench.

thoughts, options, ideas?

L.R.

what kind of joint - heim? TRE? superflex/johny joint?

My Rustys Trac Bar did the same thing, needed a new TRE.
The fix is gonna depend on what bar your running.

tighten the track bar frame mount. 18MM socket, 2 nuts behind the spring, 2 bolts rear of the steering box.

shmoken875 said:
quick hijack- mines been poping a looong time now, about 6 or 7 months, i'll be replacing it mid may, could there be some kind of catastrophic failure if i keep using it?
depending on what is causing the poping, YES.

Here's one for you, my '96 was doing the same thing. I tightened all the fasteners to the point of scary tight, lubed all the steering linkages and it was still popping so, I just gave up. Now, about a month later it makes no noises at all........WTF?.........Hans

LoneRanger said:
it is a BRAND NEW stock TRAC BAR.

I am stumped.

This does NOT guarantee it is good and not the problem!!! I say bring it back and get another..Have the guy double check, its the correct part number!!

I had the EXACT same problem On my MJ when I first got it. The guy behind the counter was a self proclaimed jeep guru...he sold me a track bar from a '97+ TJ for my '89 MJ...they where/are slightly different! I brought it back, got the correct bar. TORQUED it properly and walla....NO MORE NOISE!!!

CW

well I hear popping as well from my Jeep, but it only started after I lifted it. It also pops when I put the brakes on at first when leaving but no more after I drive. I am really getting pissed b.c it is real annoying.

My Rustys trac bar does it to, but its the hole on the axle end that is shapped like an egg. i have to weld on soem washers in place and put a new bolt in. My bracket was also loose so i used lock tight and its been fien ever since.

When I had 5.5" of lift I had the Rubicon Express trackbar bracket and it would loosen up a tad occasionally and pop too. When I went to 6.5" I had to get a longer trackbar from Rusty and the bracket to go with. This one loosens up and pops too.

The guys at the truck alignment shop I go to had a good idea to fix it when it happens again. Put a small weld where the trackbar attaches to the bottom of the frame. I haven't done this yet but just might if it get to popping bad and drives me crazy again.

i may have the same problem. i thought is was something in the steering between the column and the box. but since i did remove the track bar and reinstall it, i might have screwed it up. if the upper track bar joint or mount is screwed up, might that be part of my no-lift death wobble? i seem to know the answer is yes. maybe i should install the new track bar thats been in my garage for a year.

Usually if its the steering box going bad the steering would get sloppy and the wheel centering would start moving after wheeling. If you got another trackbar on hand by all means install it. Might put this one behind ya.

this poping comes from basicly anything bolted together in the front end (as well as things not bolted together) so check everythign not just steering

all 6 controll arm bushings/bolts
4 ball joints in the steering
4 ball joints at knucle
unit bearings either end of tracbar bolt/balljoint
frame to tracbar bracket bolts 4 of them
steering box bolts 3
sector shaft to pitman arm nut
cracks near steering box in frame
swaybar links

have someone else jerk the wheel back and forth and check for play in track bar and ball joints in steering as well as steering box bolts and sector shaft nut.
jack up vehicle and try to wiggle the tire (it shouldnt' move)
are any of the bushigns in the ca's or trac bar cracked or deformed?

jayuu said:
another quick hijack. my 93 pops when i turn hard but only when im in 4wd and moving. whats this mean? and of course im in slime not on dry road.

sounds like you are loosing a joint in one of your axles. thats how mine started, then proceeded by a constant ticking from it smacking around. the joint not the axle shaft

bj-666 said:
have someone else jerk the wheel back and forth and check for play in track bar and ball joints in steering as well as steering box bolts and sector shaft nut.
jack up vehicle and try to wiggle the tire (it shouldnt' move)
are any of the bushigns in the ca's or trac bar cracked or deformed?

aight. so my track bar is sloppy on teh frame side, got up in there with 19mm and 3/8 drive. it spins. the damn thing spins. how the heck do i tighten it? the threaded stud spins in the track bar. my used-but-very-low-useage track bar that im replacing it with does it too. how can i get that castle nut tight? speaking of that, once i do how do i bend the cotter pin once its in there? should i just use blue threadlock instead?

Back