• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spline count on 8.25

tgissel

NAXJA Forum User
Is there anyway to tell the number of splines on a Chrysler 8.25 without pulling the cover? Tag? Axle tube diameter?

Thanks,

I have no clue what year it is? It is already out of vehicle at a junkyard and the owner gave me a good price but want to be stuborn about pulling the cover off. For what it worth the tag says 3.5 and it has been indoors since he has had it gear oil looks good and new brakes on it.

IF there is a metal tag under one of the cover bolts... you can cross over the numbers to a production date and IF the production date is after June '96 then you are ALMOST guaranteed of 29 spline axles...
Like others have said... The ONLY way to know for 100% sure is to pull the cover...

Charles

I'd explain to the guy you want a 29 spline. I'm sure he is aware that pulling the cover is the easiest way to tell. I would also tell him that if it is a 29 spline you'd buy it.(assuming you want to) If he's not willing to let you pull the cover to look, I wouldn't even do business with him. Isn't the customer always right?

this is a pretty backwoods junkyard and the price is great at only $50 it looks brand new, and has not been repainted. He has no paperwork on what it came out of. The tag only says the 3.5 which is the gear ratio. Thanks

Back