• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what does the vaccum bottle do

To bad that is the only answer some of you guys can give anymore is SEARCH, this you to be a good sight to have questions answered , must be the new breed!

To bad that is the only answer some of you guys can give anymore is SEARCH, this you to be a good sight to have questions answered , must be the new breed!

this is still a good site to have questions answered. but you can't answer the same question over and over and over again. you would end up with lots of pages asking 1 and the same question. webspace costs money. so if the answer is already on the site and you find it, then you just saved space for NEW questions. besides if you absolutely can't find an answer, i'm sure somebody will answer it for you.

simple version. vacuum bottle is a reserve tank. "spare vacuum" basically. one example of needed vacuum would be a vacuum acuated front disconnect dana 30.

Well, first it provides vacuum, obviously.

The one function that you will miss, if you loose a connection to the vacuum bottle, is the ability to change your blower settings. You'll be stuck with just defroster.

I'm not sure of what other functions this loss of vacuum will affect.

As for the searching, well, I saw it mentioned not too long ago, that while many things have been discussed on this board, there are always new people showing up, and their questions might be different from the previously asked.

I don't think that posting to search for your answer is the right answer. We are here to help each other, and to have fun wheeling in our XJs.

Hope my answer shined a little light on your question.

Erik

What it does is maintain a moderate vacuum, which is supplied from the manifold, during conditions at idle when vacuum may be insufficient at times.

In aftermarket add-on A/C kits, it is added to help supply enough vacuum to move from heat to cold, fresh to recirc under low vacuum conditions. Think of it as a storage bottle for vacuum.

I just realized how many times I used the V word.

Trailbst said:
The one function that you will miss, if you loose a connection to the vacuum bottle, is the ability to change your blower settings. You'll be stuck with just defroster.
Erik

on 97-01 (with the heater valve inside the dash, not exposed like earlier models) the defroster will be on all the time. you can't turn it off, even if you put the selector to off. the faster you go, the more heat you'll get. don't ask me why i know this :)

dynamite44 said:
on 97-01 (with the heater valve inside the dash, not exposed like earlier models) the defroster will be on all the time. you can't turn it off, even if you put the selector to off. the faster you go, the more heat you'll get. don't ask me why i know this :)
Actually, the defroster is not always "on" on '97-'01 models. It does receive some air regardless of the setting, as you mentioned, but it's because of the way the dash and air routing were designed--the "flap" that cuts off the vent can't close completely properly.

exjay33 said:
wow.... and you are soooooooooooooooo helpful yourself :dunce: Suggesting search is not a bad idea: it's entirely possible that the seeker The Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything was not aware that after hitting that litting search button he might have found out that the vacuum bottle holds vacuum for all the doohickeys that require vacuum to operate.

Ok I'll take a crack at this. There is some good info above and maybe some misinformation.

The vacuum resivoir is just that. With the check valve at the intake manifold it holds vacuum to be used by the cruise control to maintain speed (if equipped) and for the heating/ventilation system to select and hold the mode doors on the inside unit (and earlier models 84-96 had a heater coolant flow valve).

A resivoir is needed because the engine produces vacuum mostly at low RPM's/load. When the engine loads up or RPM's go up quicky vacuum decreases. Since these two systems need a steady vacuum that's why there is a check valve and resivoir.

If you loose vacuum the cruise control won't work and the heating/ventilation defaults to fresh air and defrost postions (models with a heater valve {84-96} may default to allow coolant flow through the heater core). The reason the heating/ventilation defaults is due to the spring loaded vacuum actuators used.

Mike R

This post reminds me of my youth,driving old cars. They used to have vacuum motor operated windshield wipers which would quit working when you floored the gas pedal. Used to make for white knuckle passing on a two lane road on a "dark and stormy" night,especially when driving a 100 hp flat head engined car.
Stan

Back