• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

85 Cherokee W/360,727tf.?

imo an awesome swap. lots and lots of work, but an awesome swap. MOPAR
moparbits.gif

unless its out of a jeep, forgot about that

streetpirate said:
imo an awesome swap. lots and lots of work, but an awesome swap. MOPAR
moparbits.gif
it is really alot of work but definately worth it, the chevy 350 i put in is power and torque beyond what i had emagined, i can only guess at the mopar 360.

I've collected the pieces for the same thing. A 360 HP (high performance), a loadflite 727 non lock up tranny (still in the packing crate) and a high stall torque converter. I've got a bunch of neat pieces for the motor, a spider intake and an off road Holly. I've got both a 203 (still in the packing crate) and a 209 transfer, a narrow and full width D-60 to choose from and a full width D-44 front. And a set of 15.50 33 TSL's. As soon as my last kid gets out of colledge it's project time.
I want fast and noisey :laugh3:
I also picked up a set of military hummer bead locks and other neat stuff. There is an old sand quarry near here, that they have opened up as a playground for 4X's.
I picked Dodge because I'm comfortable with the stuff.

Re: 85 Cherokee With amc/360,727tf.?

prb24 said:
Probably as good as the 318/4 speed swap you asked about yesterday.

ok ,i do have a complete 67 power wagon an, 85 J20, a 98 grand cherokee
I have many options ,my question is what would any of you do with all this to fix up an 85 xj

Depends on what you want to do with it when your done. I want mine to rip, tear and snort, run through puddles and drive over sand piles. Enough torque to throw a lot of sand and mud around. And turning some medium heavy tires. 4 HI, first and second gear. A welded rear and open front.
I've only seen one 727 on a Jeep and that was a CJ 10 (an airport tug). They lunched the tranny and never did get a replacement.
The Jeep 360 with the TH 400 and the stock steel (Chev. to Jeep) adaptor is pretty much ideal, if you can find one.

If you measure the frame width on your J 20 in various places, it may line up really close to the frame on the XJ. You'd have to shorten it some. The post 72 (71?) Power wagon frames are like and inch wider, than the XJ frame. Stack it! :laugh3: It wouldn't be a big deal to shim some body mounts and get a decent fit. We could call it, a Uni ladder frame.
Land Rover is building some models that way now. Uni frame stacked on a rail/ladder frame. The test said they were heavy, but worked great.

make sure you put some extra gas can mounts on your bumper. as a fsj owner, you know that 360 sure doesn't get any high marks for fuel efficiency. That said, I built out my grand wag motor for less than $2500 with edelbrock cam, intake, and carb. bored it .030 over, and opend up the exhaust. another $2500 will get you the edelbrock fuel injection setup. there is also a guy out there that is selling gm throttle body injection setups for about $800. I'd stay away from the 727 transmission. I replaced 2 of these-they aren't the greatest design. you might try to find a th-400 at a junkyard for more reliability. you are probably looking at beefing up the entire driveline to handle the power that the 360 can make. a properly done 360 can easily make 300-350 hp.

2ThornZ said:
Yes it is an amc 360 W727tf out of my wrecked J20 ,,Runs great,just rebuilt it last year.

will it fit with realistic fabrication of motor mounts/ radiator/fan/ exhaust pipes (yeah 2 of em)/ tranny/t-case x-member mounts and will all of it work without it looking like a frankensteinXJ
example- grill moved forward about 6" and the hood and fenders extended to cover the opening left, this i saw in person on a guys XJ/Chevy4x4(350 v8/th350/np205)Rig-thing. he chopped the unibody floor pan out completely and welded in a flat floor pan from 1/4" plate steel and then say the XJ down onto the chevy frame.
it took alot of very skilled labor and was a marvel of mechanical skills but it still looked like a turD

i would seriously like a reply from this, i'm considering a donor 88 f/s waggy for a 360 727 and 208 for my MJ on tons project.

Back