• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 differences 1990-1998

tighttrailxj

NAXJA Forum User
I now have a 1990 with an AW4 that has been modified by Level 10 transmissions in NJ. The 1990 has the power/confort switch on the dash. I am interested in getting a 1998 with the same set-up. I don't think that the 1998 has that switch on the dash. My question is, will the AW4 from the 1990 plug into the 1998 and work fine? (I do know that the output shaft will be a 23 spline on the 1998, different from 21 on the 1990) thanks for any help

plugs will be different but you should be able to swap plugs around to make it work. the power comfort switch controlls the tcu and just changes at what rpm the tranny shifts.

A friend of mine took my 91 AW-4 and put it in his '90 MJ and the only differences where the output shaft spline count and the lines on the tranny cooler. I think he said the 90 AW-4 had metric threads and the 91 had standard. The electronics worked out the same in his application.

AARON

I believe after 97+ they added another few sensors on the aw4s making them very hard to swap into anything below that yr. Otherwise trannys below that yr are interchangable as long as you carry out the spline counts.

pete

Back