• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bumper mounts- pics

Incredible Hulk

NAXJA Forum User
A few of you guys asked me to post pics of what I ended up doing on my rear bumper for its mount. Well, here it is.
Should be done before the end of the weekend. Whats good about building these thigns is it is giving me some great seat time behind my welder. I think Im slowly getting better.
029b58e2.jpg

Here's the mounting bracket. I cut off the box section on the unibody, and then rewelded the corners back together. The new bracket includes all 8 of the stock bumper bolts, also wraps around the corner to include the rear leaf spring bolt, and wraps under to include all the bottom tow hitch bolts as well. There are also two bolts right in the middle now since it was warping out a little.
57b1bdf1.jpg

7ca4ba27.jpg

Heres where the bumper itself is at now. The D ring tabs go all the way through, and they are also welded to the tabs that will mount to the bracket on the jeep itself. It will also have wrap arounds on the ends to protect the upper quarters. That will be done tomorrow.
02712d41.jpg

I'll throw up pics of it all done soon.

Looks good........nice job. Good idea to tie into the frame rails.

:thumbup:

Really good job Hulk. I'd be proud.

i like the tie in to the spring hanger and the plate that ties both factory mounting points together but... i'm not to sure about the tie into the frame rail it looks to me like it is just some plate welded to another plate at a 90* angle seems that a piece of angle iron that wraped was able to be welded not only in the x axis but also in the y axis would spread the load off of the stock mounts and more to the frame rail.

What are you PLANNING for you Jeep to withstand?
Small atomic bomb?
Pushing by a tank?
Maybe you plan on being dropped from a plane? You could tie the chute to your reciever hitch.....oh wait....no reciever hitch???
Good job (and with the cost of steel these days!!)
Rick R :sunshine:

it's a wild world out there i'm making all my glass bullet proof and door skins 3/8.

no doubt a nice design.

bj-666 said:
i like the tie in to the spring hanger and the plate that ties both factory mounting points together but... i'm not to sure about the tie into the frame rail it looks to me like it is just some plate welded to another plate at a 90* angle seems that a piece of angle iron that wraped was able to be welded not only in the x axis but also in the y axis would spread the load off of the stock mounts and more to the frame rail.

Not sure I understand what you mean? Are you saying I should add angle over the existing point of welds? If not that, Draw me a pic of what you mean? Or are you saying I should have done it with angle in the first place?

Thanks for all the compliments guys, I will post pics of it all done later today.
j

that looks verry nice all together and is exactly what i'm thinking of building i willhave a recever and tire carier but same angled design with rocker protection.

my suggestion looks almost impossible to do because of the spring hanger but basicly make a piece of angle that goes down the side and bottom of the fram rail and then is welded to the plate this would allow more strength to be transfered to the frame rails. but it would take too much work to make it worth while.

i would recomend adding a gusset to where the bumper mounts to the plate that is bolted to the frame, a strait T weld like that isnt always that strong and a side ways jerk to those D ring/ shackle mount points could be a bad thing.

other than that, i really like all the design aspects and the look of your creation
Excelent Job:exclamati

It is not fully welded in yet. Just got it mounted.
That T weld is the only thing holding it on right now. Both of those mounts on the Y axis will be getting two gussets per. One going to the mounting plate, and one on the opposite side to the bumper. There is also another mount in the middle on the X axis. You can see it in the pic, its not welded in yet. So, all of that should be done tomorrow night. I am hoping to get all the welding done, and get it cleaned up and painted as well. We'll see....
j

bj-666 said:
that looks verry nice all together and is exactly what i'm thinking of building i willhave a recever and tire carier but same angled design with rocker protection.

my suggestion looks almost impossible to do because of the spring hanger but basicly make a piece of angle that goes down the side and bottom of the fram rail and then is welded to the plate this would allow more strength to be transfered to the frame rails. but it would take too much work to make it worth while.

That would be a nice strong design, to make it work you would just have to cut out a portion of the angle that goes around the spring hanger. It should still be strong enough if you were to do that.

i'm glad to see you didn't just rely on the original bumper mounting bolts to attatch your plating to, those nut strips can easily pull through the sheet metal
my desgn also incorporates the upper shackle bolt, but in a different way..
it compresses the 2x4" tubing inside the "frame-rail" along with bolts and plating from the top to the bottom, from the floor of the cargo area to the bottom of the "frame-rail"

web-shots pics, sorry kinda dark

Back