• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 swap help

suthernoutlaw

NAXJA Forum User
i swapped my 242 for a 231 and now my shift lights on the dash dont work...anyone have any suggestions?? it was out of the same year xj.same tranny, engine, drivetrain.........

Ahh.. come on... can't be that easy.. well?

suthernoutlaw said:
everything is hooked up, direct bolt in all my fuses are good, what i am wondering is if there is a difference in the two as far as the shift lights

What year, engine, tranny, can you give us anything at all?

TheNerd said:
Yeah... if its older (91-) I think the 231's are all vacuum actuated, while the 242 is all electric.

what in any year or any of the cases is vacume actuated. the only thing running off vacume is the front axle disco.

Re: 231 swap help 4WD indicator lights

Up to 1990, with the 231 t case and disco axle, there is a vacuum line from the disco motor that runs up to a switch in the engine compartment. The switch activates the indicator lights. Not sure on 1991 up- if you have a '96, it must have had an early axle switched in to have a front disconnect axle. If they didn't swap in the switch, then you will need one out of the older XJs. Does yours have wiring in place to accept the vacuum switch?

Have you checked the lightbulb in the cluster to see if one is absent? On my 90 that has part time there wasn't one in the full time slot I know that. Check it and see if its burnt out if there is one in there too.

suthernoutlaw said:
i put a 231 in it, no full time... the bulbs are good everything plugged in...

OK, when you say "no full time" you are obviously refering to the fact that the 231 has no FT, not the green light.
What you are talking about is the lack of amber light in PT and Low PT positions where you are supposed to get the amber.
I would say that the problem is either the switch on the 231 or the wiring.
The switch on the 231 is not the same as the 242.
So, please tell us what you did to get the 242 wiring to work with a 231 switch.
How many wires and what color originally, How many and what color are you using now.
Off the top of my head I would say that the only wires in use now should be the Bk and BK/Rd.
You need to look at the wiring diagram of a 91.

ok when i said there is no full time, i meant there is no full time in a 231, like falcon said, the plug plugged right in to my 231 i did no wire changes, like i said everything plugged right in, do i need to change any wiring? i just want all my instrument cluster and lights workin....the lights all worked before, im just tryin to get them workin again

suthernoutlaw said:
ok when i said there is no full time, i meant there is no full time in a 231, like falcon said, the plug plugged right in to my 231 i did no wire changes, like i said everything plugged right in, do i need to change any wiring? i just want all my instrument cluster and lights workin....the lights all worked before, im just tryin to get them workin again

I beleive that some 242s have 2 wires with the ground coming from the TC.
That makes the equivalent of 3. A ground for the 2 lights.
The wires are BK/RD which is the LOCK amber light and a GR/YL or something else for the green FT.
Your light is not working because it has no ground.
The 231 has a BK/RD and a BK. Again the BK/RD connects to the amber light and the BK provides the ground through the switch.
Keep the BK/RD and connect the other wire to the ground.

suthernoutlaw said:
thanks falcon ill try as soon as i can!! lots of help...

Before you do I suggest checking the manual, I'm working from memory.
Besides, I've never seen the '91 wiring.
Good luck.

Back