• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bar pin eliminators

Semper Fi

NAXJA Forum User
I know this might be a dumb question, but what are they and how do they work. I have read in the catologs that they stop the thumb caused by the shocks. I have that thumping noise and was thinking of buying these but I would like to know more about them. can anyone help?

Semper Fi said:
I know this might be a dumb question, but what are they and how do they work. I have read in the catologs that they stop the thumb caused by the shocks. I have that thumping noise and was thinking of buying these but I would like to know more about them. can anyone help?
yes and no :D How's that for an answer ? ;)
OK, the barpin eliminators eliminate the need for stock bar pin. The thunk you're hearing is probably worn out bushing which could be replaced (you could do that withotu getting bpe's) and putting bpe's with worn bushings will retain the thunk. So pull the shocks off, look at the bushing, get some poly replacement ones and you should be good.

Ya know....I hear a thunk...I think....in my rear. I have a new leaf pack and shocks and bushings. It's not awful at all. But sometimes I think I hear something back there.

Not contradicting anything you're saying Kejtar...you ARE wise beyond you're ears. :wave: More or less just rambling.

that all sounds good and makes sense, but I put a 3 inch lift on this summer and all the shocks were replaced and before you say it, I have tightened and retightened everything in the front and rear. The only thing I can think of is the swaybar bushings and maybe the shocks. That is why I was looking into the bpe's. thanks for the help

Mine makes a little bit of noise that I sometimes hear at low speed....like when I'm backing out of the driveway. I know everything is tight and new as well. I'm not really all that worried about mine. We know how much of a PITA it is to take the shocks off from the top. You'd hate to have to do that to install BPE's and find out it doesn't do squat. Maybe undo the lower nut and then go around the block or back out the drive and see if it's quiet? I'd just have to know before I even thought about taking those shocks off again.

Mine makes noise all the time. If it ever stop clunking and rattling I would pull over to see what fell off!

thanks for the help, I guess I will go get some and give them a try. I hate hearing noises from under the Jeep, I always think something is wrong when I hear them. I have owned 8 Jeeps now and loved everyone of them and everyone of them drove we nuts with thumps and bumps, sounds like my wife, love her but she drives me nuts sometimes!!

WTF are you guys talking about?
All a BPE does is change the mounting style of your shocks from the OEM pin w/ two bolts to allow you to run an eyelet type shock.
It does nothing to effect the shock performance and you can't just add them to your existing shock setup to fix a noise or anything else.

Talk about SPOBI

well ok then kid, you sound like you know what you are talking about, why do the catalogs say they will stop the thumping noise made by the shocks on the front of the Cherokee? do they or don't they stop the thump? and are they worth putting on the Jeep?

kid4lyf said:
WTF are you guys talking about?
All a BPE does is change the mounting style of your shocks from the OEM pin w/ two bolts to allow you to run an eyelet type shock.
It does nothing to effect the shock performance and you can't just add them to your existing shock setup to fix a noise or anything else.

Talk about SPOBI

They squeeze the eye bushing down to preload it, which keeps it from wobbling around and making it wear out prematurely. That wobbling around and lack of preload makes noise. OME shocks still use bar pins, but add washers and snaprings that go on to do the same thing. That's not SPOBI.

ECKSJAY said:
They squeeze the eye bushing down to preload it, which keeps it from wobbling around and making it wear out prematurely. That wobbling around and lack of preload makes noise. OME shocks still use bar pins, but add washers and snaprings that go on to do the same thing. That's not SPOBI.
I still call SPOBI.
It's rare to see a shock with the bushing wobbling on the bar pin. (I did shocks and brakes 8 hrs a day at a tire dealership from 18 to 20 years old).
Is it possible? Sure but unlikely.
If you have a thumping coming from the shock, and it's not loose, I doubt it's coming from the way it mounts to the chassis.
The advantage of BPEs is that they give you a better range of shock choices and makes shock changing easier, especially on an XJ where the top rear is such a PITA.
They have virtually no effect on performance.

ok so now I'm confused, are they worth it or not? I'm going to be replacing my current lift with one from Rubicon Express, the 4.5 inch RE6130, should have bought that one in the first place. live and learn I guess. should I get the BPE's also or not?

kid4lyf said:
The advantage of BPEs is that they give you a better range of shock choices and makes shock changing easier, especially on an XJ where the top rear is such a PITA.

I absolutely agree. After dealing with the PITA it was to install the barpins on my first set of shocks, I got some BPE's for my next set and never looked back.

Semper Fi said:
ok so now I'm confused, are they worth it or not? I'm going to be replacing my current lift with one from Rubicon Express, the 4.5 inch RE6130, should have bought that one in the first place. live and learn I guess. should I get the BPE's also or not?
I would get them because they make changing the rear shocks much easier, period.
They will not solve thumping, bouncing, or any other shock issues.
In the front I wouldn't bother.
Keep in mind, if you use them, you need to buy shocks that have eyelet mounts.

kid4lyf said:
I would get them because they make changing the rear shocks much easier, period.
They will not solve thumping, bouncing, or any other shock issues.
In the front I wouldn't bother.
Keep in mind, if you use them, you need to buy shocks that have eyelet mounts.

That's funny, they sure stopped my rear shock clunking.....yes the bushings were worn.

Nine Mile said:
That's funny, they sure stopped my rear shock clunking.....yes the bushings were worn.
Must be the BPEs.
Couldn't possibly be the fact that you, obviously, bought new shocks. :doh:
God knows the bushings in your new, eyelet mounted, shocks will NEVER wear out. :dunce:

Last edited:
Back