• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumpstops, new, old, front and rear axle bumpers, cushions?

BrianB

NAXJA Forum User
Over the Christmas break I changed out my front bumpstops, '93 2WD, and the rear axle bumper cushions and thought I'd offer up what I learned FYI.

1: there's maybe only one extensive post on changing front bumpstops and nothing I could find on the rear.

2: my dealer told me the front bumpstops for my '93 aren't available any more.

3: dealer also told me my rears came in two different heights - cost around $48 each. Mine were so decayed it was impossible to know their original height. They actually looked like they were burned in a fire.

4: based on my junkyard experience, the front bumpstops changed in '92, or thereabouts, from the earlier screw-on kind to the later pop-off kind. There appeared to be differences in material as well, the later being more tan-like neoprene and the older ones made of regular black rubber. (my scientific evaluation)

5: 1980s rear axle to frame bumper cushions on junk vehicles seemed to be in better shape than 1990s vehicles, it seemed like the newer tan material isn't holding up as well as the older black rubber.

Overall, the swap was easy enough, but I did break bolts on one rear side. Drilled and used old bolts from the yard. The fronts were crumbly and cleaning out the upper mount area was tricky. Used a pry bar to expand the spring a little and jam the replacement in.

I'm sure I've left off some critical info on this topic, but lacking more extensive posts to read before I did this project, I thought I would post this much as least. The only lingering question for me is why Jeep listed two different heights on rear axle bumper cushions and whether or not I what I have installed is adequate? If I had to guess I'd say my replacements are at least as tall or taller.

BrianB said:
The only lingering question for me is why Jeep listed two different heights on rear axle bumper cushions and whether or not I what I have installed is adequate? If I had to guess I'd say my replacements are at least as tall or taller.
There are actually four heights, but I think two are for MJs and two for XJs. Most XJs use the shortest. Those with Up Country use the tallest. Any of them can be used, to tailer your suspension to the way you drive and the weight you carry.

Crown still sells all four sizes.

Back