• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats my front axel?

cherokeekid95

NAXJA Forum User
I have a stock 95xj sport. I know i have an 8.25 rear. Whats my front. I've been told its a dana30 just looking for reasurance. How can i tell if its a dana 30 or a 35? thanks for the help

D30 is front only, D35 is rear only.

With a 95, you have a high pinion D30.

95 XJ will be a non disconnect high pinion Dana 30 front and the rear could be a Dana 35 or Chrysler 8.25 axle.

The early XJs with the Command-Trac transfer cases had a vacuum disconnect in the passenger side axle shaft of the front axle. In 2WD this was intended to reduce drag and improve fuel economy.

However, the shift fork was prone to fatigue, and I guess DaimlerChrysler finally decided the minute improvement in mileage wasn't worth the expense and complexity, so they stopped using it in the early 90s. The YJ (leaf spring/rectangular headlight) Wranglers had the same setup, and it was dropped when the TJ (round headlight/coil spring) Wrangler came out.

High pinion means that the pinion gear axis is above the axle and ring gear axis of rotation.

cherokeekid95 said:
what does "non disconnect high pinion" mean?

High pinio refers to where the driveshaft enters the axle. High means it is above the centerline and low means it is below. The 00-01 XJ's have a low high axle. The high pinion is better because the driveshaft is further away from trail damage and it also reduces driveline angles for less vibration. It is also a slightly stronger setup in front because of the way the pinion gear drives the ring gear.

The early year XJ's had a disconnect axle meaning there was a vacumn operated shifter on the front axle. These were somewhat problematic. If the vacumn lines got damaged the front axle would free wheel and not do anything.

wow thanks guys! I knew about the vacum thing from looking at other jeeps. I just helped a guy with a yj regear and asked him what that funky little box was on his axel. Thanks guys i'm learnin as i go.

Back