• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Trac Bar thread although slightly less common than others...

a_hiatt

NAXJA Forum User
background: 99 xj, 4.5" kit, knuckle to knuckle DOM and heim steering, no sway bars, fixed CA's. CURRENTLY ROUGH COUNTRY TRAC BAR!

so a few months ago i pick up rough country's new trac bar they came out with. i knew it was still TRE ended and all that but they gave me a really good price and it was at least adjustable. long story short my TRE was and always will be junk and no one in town has them in stock and it's gonna run me over $35 for what RC said would be $8. before this Rough Country has been great to me with all of my parts, continually given me great prices, used my jeep for most of they're mag. ads and more over the past year, so i'm not swearing them off or really bashing them it just makes me a little irritated that they are blowing me off over what they say is an $8 part. anyway....

i've decided to give up on RC this time and build my own. tonight i was giving what was going to be a control arm for free. it's a few feet of .250" DOM crazy beefy tubing w/ the ends already welded in with what i'm pretty sure are 3/4 x 3/4 blue torch heims. it will pretty much work great but what i need to know is how long it will have to be(estimate of course), do i really NEED the bend because no one in town will be able to bend this tubing, and does anyone have pics of their custom built brackets. i know the bend is for clearence on the pumpkin but some don't have them so i dont know. i just got it tonight and havent had a chance to really get underneath my jeep and look around so figured you guys could offer input.

Check out rusty's high-steer kit. It comes with a straight track bar. They are able to keep it straight because they use a bracket that mounts the axle side above the axle. If you already have heims you may be able to flip them over your knuckles and have high steer too. As for a frame bracket, RE and Rustys both make ones that do not use the TREs. You'll probably have to mount your brackets and then measure for the length of the track bar after they are set.

thanks for feedback. looks like i'll be copying rusty's. i'll probably build a new axles side bracket too then. another question though, do i need to run tapered spacers. i know your generally supposed to but i dont really think i would need them. i want to but i dont know anywhere to get them in town, just online and i wanted to get started this weekend. are there any chain type stores that carry them?

Back