• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need clear answer on front one piece axle seals.

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched in the past and even scrolled through numerous posting pages tring to find clear info on, when replacing a 1990 disco small axle's up to the 760 one piece ones.

What axle seals do I use and where do they get installed? The closest posting info I found was
Originally Posted by ChuckD
Update on the seal part number!

The CR 11800 is a bit too big, you could probably make it work but you will have to grind out the inner tube a little.

This seal should just tap right it, 11771/40576S CR SEAL

Also, the 91' disco axles may be machined for the standard carrier seal. We found this out talking to a 4WD shop, who at first sold me the wrong seal. Then I found out that its a 60's CJ5 has a front axle seal.

Now this still leaves me wondering then IF I use the11771/40576S seal where does it go/get installed. And does that cover the drivers side and pass side or does the drivers side even need any seal at all? I am thinking though that since the axle might be thicker? that the seal will need to be replaced on both sides?

If there was a thread dedicated just to a write up on this mod, since its got to be one of the Biggest and most benifitial mods out there, it would be very helpful to those that never had to worry about this. Being a TJ guy gone XJ this was never an issue.

Thanks For any and all help with this.

Rob

i just went through the same thing and didn't find the posts very helpfull since i ended up finding different measurements. i ended up taking my own measurments and went to napa. turns out the seal for the passenger side was the same part number as the exact replacement seal for the driver. i'm kinda lazy to go in the garage and get the part number right now, but i'll post it later tonight.

well thats cool. But where did you install the seal on the pass side? and was the stock drivers side seal ok or did it need to be replaced due to axle size change?

aahhh hell.....if i wait till later i'll forget so here are the numbers

CR11899 from napa auto parts store.

after i took measurements and compared different seals while i was there at the store i found these to be a perfect replacement for both the passenger and driver side.

just incase there should be a difference in your part setup i'll tell you what i'm running.

89XJ HP dana30 disco converted to non-disco with 97TJ one piece shafts.

and if your really not sure, what you can do is pull both the old seals and take the seals and the new axle shafts that you will be using and take all that to the parts counter. that way they can take the measurements right on the spot.

hope that helps

i replaced the seals exactly where i took the old ones out.

yes i replaced both seals. i figured if it's already open i might as well do it. the seals are cheap enough.

one thing you also need to do if you are using used one piece shafts is clean the hell out of the shaft. mine were a little rusty and i didn't want the rust catching the seal. so i got some extremely fine sandpaper and cleaned the shafts until they where smooth as glass. it takes longer with the fine sandpaper but i didn't want to use coarse stuff and scratch the shafts.

The drivers side should have a seal already there and it should come in most gear installation kits.

The passenger side needs the seal I mentioned, unless you have a disconect axle that has been machined on both sides like a non-disco axle. My axle was an 87' I believe and it was not machine for a seal on the passenger side.

The seal I mention goes inside the tube right next to the carrier on the passenger side.

National p/n 470160 should fit right in as well.

-Mike

Back