• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil filter leaking

Is it leaking where the filter screws to the adapter, or where the adapter screws to the block?

If it's at the base of the filter, just get a new filter and try again (checking the sealing surface for gouges.)

If it's a the filter adapter somewhere, there are three o-rings that you'll want to replace. There is a through bolt that holds the filter adapter down - BE VERY CAREFUL when wrenching this thing, so you don't break it (it's a little more expensive than the o-rings, I'm sure.) The three orings should run you less than $5 - even at the dealership (I think I paid like $2.75 for the last set I got,) and they'll be easy to see once you get the through bolt out.

Search here for "oil filter adapter" to find specific information on changing the thing - including tips & tricks and fatal pitfalls. It's been done to death here.

5-90

And from what the dealer parts guy told me, the oil filter housing leak is (by far) the #1 leak in these 4.0 engines ... followed by the rear main seal and valve cover as miles rack up.

If it's leaking at the filter base, another thing to check is if the o-ring from the old filter got stuck to the motor when you changed the filter. I've done that one before. I caught it as I was tightening the new filter on. My brother wasn't as lucky. I still pick on him for pumping 4 quarts of Mobil 1 onto the floor out of his Mustang! :laugh3:

Back