• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaky pinion seal

el_roy1985

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced the pinion seal on my dana 30 a few months ago, and I noticed today it is leaking again. This kind of annoys me cause now it's really cold out and I really have no where to work on it. I'm guessing I should check the vent tube to make sure it isn't clogged. Other than that, is there anything else that would cause pre-mature seal failure?

On a side note I'm also leaking oil after just replaceing the oil pan gasket, so I guess I'll have to figure out that annoyance eventually as well. It is leaking soemwhere from the front.

That is one thing that I thought too, but I don't remember seeing one. I also think they are aftermarket pinion and gear sets so they shouldn't even have enough miles on them to have a groove yet. When I replaced the rear main (did that at the same time) I noticed a groove. That's still holding up though. Now I have to mess with the dang bearing and stuff in there again :( Although I know what tool to use to put the seal back in... I found a 2.5" exhaust pipe works VERY well.

I guess this will be a chance too take a look at things in there, for some reason I think I messed something up when I put it all back together. So I'll be able to check for any irregular wear while I'm in there.

I just paid to have my front end gears done (dont have the tools) and i have a pinion leak, but its not from the seal. it looks like its coming from under the race. I'm praying that its just residual oil from the install as i haven't had a chance to wash the jeep yet. let us know what's wrong with your pinion when you figure it out. it might help me some. =)

53guy said:
I just paid to have my front end gears done (dont have the tools) and i have a pinion leak, but its not from the seal. it looks like its coming from under the race. I'm praying that its just residual oil from the install as i haven't had a chance to wash the jeep yet. let us know what's wrong with your pinion when you figure it out. it might help me some. =)

I would take it back to the shop or whoever did it and have them fix the problem.

I have also seen where the seal mates to the housing, there can be nicks, or gouges, from where the seal was pryed out or removed with a screw driver, which in turn will cause the seal not to sit flush on the housing causing it to leak too.

What exactly is the pinion yoke?

It seems to be leaking right where the pinion and seal meet. I'll probably take a closer look at it later today since I have the day off and it's pretty nice out. That and I'll make sure I didn't get too low on gear lube already.

Maybe I should order a front locker while I'm at it...?

DCP_9312.JPG

yoke-pinion.gif

The yoke is the part that slides onto the splines of the pinion, and is held on with a nut and washer. The seal rides on the machined surface of the yoke. Same thing for a SYE.

Are you ordering gears for it also? Do you need a front locker for your wheeling style? If you drive it daily, thing about a Detroit Truetrac. If you lock the front, lock the rear. If you buy gears for the front, remember, you have to buy the same ratio for the rear.

I already have 4.56 gears front and back, and a lock-rite in the rear. So far the lock-rite has worked out great for me. So I might get a lock-rite for the front as well. Thanks for the pic, now I know exactly what to look at.

Back