• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crappy Clearcoat

scott88wagoneer

NAXJA Forum User
My clear coat is starting to peel/fade on my Jeep. The color underneith is still good so I was wondering if I could wet sand with fine grit paper the whole jeep and spray on some new clear? Any paint guys think this would work? Im not expecting it to look perfect remember.

Scott

My '90 is also suffering from this pubescent acne thing - it's 15. You'll find the color coat is so thin it just makes color - a good sanding will take it to the primer. Why my primer is WHITE on my BLACK XJ makes no sense, as every scratch shows.

You may not want to do the work, but price a paint job and the your labor of prepping is a substantial savings. The burden on doing the body work is that any mistake shows in the finish paint - and it's not the sprayer's fault.

It can be done with patience. It also explains why some just Herculine the whole shebang. I bought a DA sander and will just do it back like it was.

My '90 is also suffering from this pubescent acne thing - it's 15.
Acne hell! My '90 was born with this condition, more like eximia or psoriisis, broke out within five years off the lot. Need/want to do so many other things to it makes it hard to justify the cost of a paint job.

Really it sould have been a recall but im not gona cry over it. I have had a 91 and a 94 do the clearcoat thing but so far my 93 has not started.

I ignored it on my YJ, till way past too late. On my XJ as soon as I see a milky area, I make up a very small batch of clear and paint it into the crack (with a small artist brush), it will leech underneath and looks better than the milky color. It also seals things up pretty well and keeps it from coming back in the same spot. Just make sure you use a good solvent (I use weak acetone) to get all the wax, soap, salt and dirt out.

Back