• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

low gas light question?

play_in_the_mud

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1995 xj with the 4.0 anyone know how much gas is left when the yellow gas light comes on? further more anyone know how much gas the tank hold? just trying to figure out if i gotta stretch it how much gas is left when the light comes on so i know how much farther i can go. thanks for any help.

The gas tank should nominally be 20 gallons. They tend to accept a little more.

In my opinion he gas gauge is totally unreliable on these cars. My gas light typically goes on at 1/4 tank, then goes on and off again and again. At E I usually have 1/8 tank left but you could be the opposite.

By the manual you have aprox. 2 gals. left when the fuel light comes on.

Get a can of gas and put it in the back. Note the mileage when the light goes on and then drive it till it stalls. Even then, you will only get a rough idea since the lights are not real repeatable.

I have a 95 also.. I have personally driven my jeep with the gas hand past empty (yes I did have a can of gas with me) and from that point it took 20.?gallons to fill it up. owners manual says it has 18 gallon tank. I figured I could get better than 18 in it, with filler tube and all..

HTH

jeepinandy said:
I have a 95 also.. I have personally driven my jeep with the gas hand past empty (yes I did have a can of gas with me) and from that point it took 20.?gallons to fill it up. owners manual says it has 18 gallon tank. I figured I could get better than 18 in it, with filler tube and all..

HTH
18 gallon tank? :confused: I though that the smaller tank that they used to offer in an xj was 12 or someplace therebouts and even that got discontinued many years past. The other size available was 20 gallons.

Kejtar said:
18 gallon tank? :confused: I though that the smaller tank that they used to offer in an xj was 12 or someplace therebouts and even that got discontinued many years past. The other size available was 20 gallons.

I stand corrected... 20.2 gallons... dont know where the hell I came up with the 18.... :cheers:

going to have to read through the manual to see where I seen the 18... lol

"gas gauge is totally unreliable on these cars"

It might depend on what you mean by relaible..but my 96 is perfect it the sense of being repeatable. I start thinking about gas whan the needle is at the bottom of the last tic. 17-1/2 gallons there. A whole needle width below = 18 gal.
I have run it out to verify it takes 20, but this is not a smart thing to do routinely..
Bad for the fuel pump, it starts hesitating in hills and corners etc. Oh and walking down the highway with a gas can sucks.

They get more unreliable in the last Generation XJ's. Put 18.3 gallons in my 99 today and the needle wouldn't move when i started the Jeep...thats how low it was registering. And that 18.3 was squeezed in. The pumped stopped the first time right at 17 gallons. I say run it almost out a few times (wouldn't do it consecutively) and keep a record of how much it will hold. That will give you a general idea of how off it is. Mine can be off from as lilttle as 2-3 gallons to sometimes even 6-7 gallons.

I trust the fuel low light bout as far as I can throw my JEEP......

My 95 is the same way. The gas light comes on way too early and the gauge reads way too low when it gets below 1/4 tank. When my gas light comes on and stays on I have 4 or 5 gallons left.

I just came back from a road trip and my gas light would come on after about 300 miles. Its kinda nerve racking but both times I ignored the light and didn't fill up till 350 miles. One time it took 18 gallons, the other time it took a little under 19 gallons. So I drove another 50 miles with the gas light on and still had 1-2 gallons left. The gauge was registering below empty both times for the last 20 miles. Granted those are hwy miles and my XJ gets a lot better gas mileage on the hwy.

devildog0 said:
By the manual you have aprox. 2 gals. left when the fuel light comes on.

According to my 90 XJ manual 2 gallons is left when the light comes on. Going up hill or down affects the light.

Ideally I would recommend keeping the tank topped up this time of year...

I like that my light comes on a little early.

I wouldn't be very happy if I ran out of gas because my light didn't register till the last 20 miles.

Doesn't running your fuel real low damage your fuel pump?

I try and keep at least 1/4 at all times.

uvaldetxj said:
I like that my light comes on a little early.

I wouldn't be very happy if I ran out of gas because my light didn't register till the last 20 miles.

Doesn't running your fuel real low damage your fuel pump?

I try and keep at least 1/4 at all times.

Yes it does,the fuel cools the pump,I have only run mine low enough to trip the light once,took around 18 gal to fill,at todays prices thats a bunch$$$.
Wayne

I have the same thing happen occasionally in my '00. Even right after I fill up the gas gauge reads empty. After a while the needle will decide to move.

old_man said:
Get a can of gas and put it in the back. Note the mileage when the light goes on and then drive it till it stalls. Even then, you will only get a rough idea since the lights are not real repeatable.

not the best idea in the world as mentioned above. like they said, gas cools the pump and i've seen someone burn their pump up in less than a minute trying to make it to the next gas station. not the most cost effective way of doing things in my own oppinion.

play_in_the_mud said:
i have a 1995 xj with the 4.0 anyone know how much gas is left when the yellow gas light comes on? further more anyone know how much gas the tank hold? just trying to figure out if i gotta stretch it how much gas is left when the light comes on so i know how much farther i can go. thanks for any help.

Tank holds 20.2 gallons or 75.7 liters.

At 3/4 it has 16 gallons
At 1/2 it has 11 gallons
At 1/4 it still has 6 gallons
When low fuel warning light comes on it has 4 gallons

Dr. Dyno said:
Tank holds 20.2 gallons or 75.7 liters.

At 3/4 it has 16 gallons
At 1/2 it has 11 gallons
At 1/4 it still has 6 gallons
When low fuel warning light comes on it has 4 gallons

That sounds about right but mine comes on off and on a little bit before 4 gallons are left. When it comes on steadily and stays on there are about 4 gallons left. The gauges aren't 100% accurate though.

Back