• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is there a write up for changing the exhaust manifold?(searched)

funvtec

NAXJA Forum User
? i tried searching a bunch of different phrases and words but didn't come up anything

this i think is my next task

TIA

ahhh...you must have the dreaded cracked manifold,you have the 4.0?I've been looking into adding a flex connector between the down pipe and manifold to alleviate stress at the connection there.I'll do a post on it when I do it.

As for a write up,I don't know.Does anyone else have any info on this?I've heard it's a pita to do while in the vehicle due to cramped space.I have the luxury of doing mine while my new motor is being prepped to drop in...

yeah sorry

90 xj 4.0 cracked through and through since i bought it a year ago, just never been a priority but i'm finally getting alot of more important things taken care of so i think this is next on my agenda

Is yours a HO? I thought only the HO's had that problem and I think (not sure) that your 90 is a RENIX (non ho) engine. But now would be a perfect time to put on a nice header from Banks or another name brand.

JoBo

There is at least one good write up on the web -- keep searching..(try google)
Also, Banks comes with good detailed instructions. Not in-itself worth paying for the $$ system, but a nice extra.

My little additions:
The instructions tell you to remove the motor mount. I have no idea why, it is not remotely in the way of anything.
You can do almost everything from up top (ie. reach all but 1 or 2 of the lower bolts) if you remove the intake air box.
You need Both a swivel socket and a straight socket w/ a swivel adapter. (14mm or 9/16), and of course a whole assortment of extensions.

Did mine probably a month ago. Wasn't too bad. It took me like 2-4 hours with putting on all new exhaust. I left the fuel lines connected. Pick up a Haynes manual.

This past weekend I put on a Gibson exhaust header on my ’92 HO. The Gibson instructions basically had you remove the engine mount and remove the header from the bottom. The FSM has you do it from the top, much easier IMHO. Basically the steps are

1) Remove stock air box.
2) Disconnect everything from the intake manifold, ie vacuum lines, fuel lines, remove throttle cable brackets, etc.
3) Remove 4 small bolts holding fuel rail to manifold
4) Gently pull fuel rail assembly from manifold
5) Remove steering pump assembly from manifold.
6) Undo bolts at exhaust manifold/crosspipe junction.
7) Undo head bolts and nuts from studs. You may want to hit up the studs with some PB Blaster, most likely the studs will back out.

Installation is pretty much the reverse of the above.

Here's some additional info

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67122&highlight=exhaust+manifold+bolts

karstic said:
This past weekend I put on a Gibson exhaust header on my ’92 HO. The Gibson instructions basically had you remove the engine mount and remove the header from the bottom. The FSM has you do it from the top, much easier IMHO. Basically the steps are

1) Remove stock air box.
2) Disconnect everything from the intake manifold, ie vacuum lines, fuel lines, remove throttle cable brackets, etc.
3) Remove 4 small bolts holding fuel rail to manifold
4) Gently pull fuel rail assembly from manifold
5) Remove steering pump assembly from manifold.
6) Undo bolts at exhaust manifold/crosspipe junction.
7) Undo head bolts and nuts from studs. You may want to hit up the studs with some PB Blaster, most likely the studs will back out.

Installation is pretty much the reverse of the above.

Here's some additional info

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67122&highlight=exhaust+manifold+bolts

Seems like you're the expert ;) I should con you into swinging by and helping me with my dad's jeep :D

Back