• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle swap?

the_chief

NAXJA Forum User
i hope this belongs here. can anyone tell me what mods i'd have to make to get an 04 tj d35 under an 88 xj with a d35?

cut off the coil mounts and weld on some spring pads and shock mount.. Its a lot of work for just a 35..

If you have to do it, at least do it with a TJ D44 - you're still going to have to cut off the coil-sprung suspension parts and weld new spring perches and shock mounts on but at least you wouldn't be transplanting a turd...

the_cheif said:
i hope this belongs here. can anyone tell me what mods I'd have to make to get an 04 tj d35 under an 88 xj with a d35?

TJ coil sprung and the xj is leaf sprung in the rear. They do not match. For an axle swap I would not recommend a TJ axle. There are better out there that will bolt in.... That means less work.

What are your plans for this xj ???

If you are looking just to peddle the xj and not keep it or wheel it then the D35 from any xj may work and will bolt in.

If you are looking to keep this xj and wheel it. The 29 spline C8.25 axle is much better, just as cheap and will bolt in. It can be found under 97+ XJs without antilock brakes. This axle is good for up to 33-34 inch tires. It is half the cost of a D44 and is nearly as strong.

If your are looking to wheel this a for tires up to 35-36 inch tires and to have some cool factor the D44 from an 87-89 XJ will bolt in. This axle is nearly twice as expensive as the smaller C8.25.

If you are planning 35+ tires or are really hard on your equipment then the Ford 8.8 is for you. You will find these under 96 & up ford exlorers. Some have disk brakes and 4.10 gears. However, it will require as much work as the TJ D35 to swap. There are kits for this swap but they are $150 for the kit, $100 for the ebrake cable and then somebody to weld the brackets onto the axle. This can range from pizza and beer to 250 for a shop to do it. the brackets and cable are what make this axle the most expensive.

Back