• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spark plugs

Jeffro600

NAXJA Forum User
Im feeling lazy and its too cold outside to go check.....:laugh3:

But how accessable are all 6 plugs on your standard HO 4.0 in an XJ? Any particular ones that are a bastard to get out due to clearance issues??

Any particular brands that you guys would recomend?

many many threads on this.

most say go with OEM champions, copper champions, or champion truck plugs. some people say they have problems with the bosch platinums, I personally have had the bosch single plat. in mine since I bought it with no problems.

as far as getting at them- a short extension is all you'll need.

#1 is a pain sometimes due to the a/c. My '89 w/air didn't seem to be as difficult (no, not difficult, just more of a PITA) as the '96 is though. I've had the Bosch single platinum in both of mine and other rigs I've run for hundreds of thousands of miles with no problems. Look for a rant against me a month or so ago by some fly-by wannabe who screamed and yelled about how evil the Bosch plugs are...
rolleye.gif

The #6 gives me more problems than the others. A u-joint wobble between your plug socket and extension should do the trick.

DeftwillP said:
The #6 gives me more problems than the others. A u-joint wobble between your plug socket and extension should do the trick.
yep, thats what i was gonna say. #6 was that hardest, but wasn't really hard at all. I used the Platinum +4 and i haven't had any problem yet. it had Champions in it, and the new Boschs make it run a lot smoother it seems

Changing plugs on an XJ - or a 4.0L [except COP] for that matter are easy, a couple of extensions, and wobble joint, and you'll be good to go...

I like NGK's - yes, I know they are not what most run, but they have always performed well, in all of the vehicles I've had...

-Will

willyb said:
I like NGK's - yes, I know they are not what most run, but they have always performed well, in all of the vehicles I've had...

most jeeps will be runnin them soon

Jeep has switched OEM from champ to NGK

at least the dealerships have switched

I just copped some NGK v-powers yesterday and im looking for time to change them

Anyone who complains about lack of clearance on an XJ engine bay has obvisouly never worked on anything designed in Japan or Germany.
Champion or NGK (solid copper core), I like both. I sell NGK plugs all day long, mostly to owners of Japanese cars.

In cold weather #1 and #6 if you have air can be knuckle busters. Biggest problem can be getting the old boots off but for me thats not an issue, I do plugs, wires, cap and rotor when I do mine...and I use champion but if the last posting was fact for the dealer OEM part being NGK I'll try them and see what happens..but I'll make every effort to get the champion copper truck plugs first.

Well ... I put in Accel U-Groove plugs about 1000 miles ago on a new 4.0 HO motor, and have no problems with them at all. They supposedly give a more complete combustion, but that might just be hype.

I have three strict rules I follow on spark plugs, to wit:
NO Champions, NO NGKs, and NO copper anything.
Or else :hang:
Speaking not particularly about Jeeps but just in general, I have had too many bad experiences with copper core plugs used as anything other than fishing sinkers. (n) I have Champion, Autolite, AC and NGK V-Power copper core plugs in my tackle box and would never put another one anywhere near an engine, I hate them that much. YMMV and they might do okay on a Heep where they would reside on the cold side of the engine but I personally wouldn't risk it.

Steel core and air gap type plugs are obsolete because they are no good for anything that doesn't have points, which leaves us with...

Platinum. :thumbup: After struggling with the various copper plugs as recommended by GM for my old first generation S-10 truck, an angel came from heaven and introduced me to Bosch platinum plugs. I took a look at the teensy little ceramic shrouded electrode and laughed but the angel said to me "what have you to lose but twelve bucks and fifteen minutes" so I said what the heck. I put 50K each on two sets in the old S-truck before I sold it and I have to say that's not too shabby in a rig with a recommended 12K tuneup interval where I was lucky before to get by without putting in a new set between oil changes. Used Bosch platinums in two other cars also with no regrets.

Now my Heep had Autolite platinums in it when I bought it. I don't know how many miles are on them but I checked them when I changed plug wires a couple months ago and they all looked good except the one that was running under the bad wire so I changed just the one with another Autolite and it seems to be just fine. I won't be afraid to try the Boschs when it's time though.

Oh - Bosch offers a pretty decent set of wires, I can't remember what the name is they have on them. A bit spendy, I think I paid 25 clams for a set, but just the right length and lifetime guaranteed (yeah like we save our receipts).

Last edited:
You expressed a deep hatred for copper plugs but failed to really give any reasons why...ive used plain ol copper plugs in every vehicle ive ever had and not had any problems. :dunno:

I changed them all out last night....champion copper plugs, autolight pro wires, rotar and cap....purrs like a kitten! :)

Yucca-Man said:
#1 is a pain sometimes due to the a/c. My '89 w/air didn't seem to be as difficult (no, not difficult, just more of a PITA) as the '96 is though. I've had the Bosch single platinum in both of mine and other rigs I've run for hundreds of thousands of miles with no problems. Look for a rant against me a month or so ago by some fly-by wannabe who screamed and yelled about how evil the Bosch plugs are...
rolleye.gif
Same here, and same here.

willyb said:

-Will

x2. I run NGK in everythign but the WJ.

I think the trouble I had with copper was due to ambient heat around them. They just would not live long (and for the record, the NGK V-Powers failed the quickest - in like two days). But I did say they might be ok in a Jeep where they'd be on the cool side of the engine. Still, platinums didn't give me any problems so I'm just not gonna mess with success.

in my 2000 the spark plugs are pretty difficult to access thanks to a one-piece rail that contains all the ignition coils and plug into all 6 spark plugs. The hard part is that the plug at the rear of the rail is damn near impossible to disconnect without breaking it. I still can't figure out which little plastic tab I'm supposed to press.

that plug has a little red tab on it. you use a flathead or something like that to slide the tab over,which releases the plug. then you will be able to remove it. if you don't get what i mean, then stand on the passenger side of the vehicle, looking at where the plugs are, then look down right inside the engine bay, there are a few more of those plugs that are easier to look at. just mess wiht one of those first until you know how to open it, then do the same on the one for the coil.

Back