• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

messed up my high beams

xj89

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys i think i blew the relay for my high beams. my low beams work fine, but when i go to put the high beams on the lights shut off and just the orange driving lights are on. im pretty sure its a relay issue, but where is the headlight relay and how can i tell if its blown? its an 89.

There isn't a relay, that I can recall, for the high beams on RENIX XJ's (1987-1990.) You've probably lost the headlamp switch, high beam circuit.

I don't recall how much the replacement switch was, but I did get it in the aftermarket, and it was a fairly easy swap (about 1/2 hours) with minimal tools.

This is common on older vehicles, just because all the power for the lights goes FROM the battery, TO the switch; and FROM the switch, TO the headlights.

Check out a replacement harness that will put poer to the headlamps through relays directly from the battery - that will save a lot of wear on the switch, and make your headlights somewhat brighter as well...

5-90

Yeah get a dimmer switch for an old chevy pickup(same thing) most likely what it is(the carpet holds moisture on it ruining it)

majic_tech said:
Yeah get a dimmer switch for an old chevy pickup(same thing) most likely what it is(the carpet holds moisture on it ruining it)

BOGON EMISSIONS!

Sorry, but you'll find the dimmer switch on the XJ mounted atop the column - not on the floor. The dimmer switch is right next to the ignition switch, anyone who's changed the ignition switch, has run across this thing.

I know it's an oddity, but the last time I lost the high beams, I tracked it to the headlamp switch, rather than the dimmer switch. That's not to say it was impossible - just where I was lead to.

It might take a little digging, but I still suggest upgrading the headlamp wiring while you're about it.

5-90

The schematic shows the headlight switch powers the dimmer switch. The blue high beam indicator light is powered also by the dimmer switch. If the indicator light works on high beam, it shouldn't be the dimmer switch, check the wiring at the headlights and work backwards. If it doesn't, learn how to take apart the steering column. I hate the GM style steering columns.

Do the early model XJs have the same connector behind the airbox for the front clip that my 94 has? I've had to jumper around 3 out of 10 connections, it's a well known corrosion problem.

5-90 said:
BOGON EMISSIONS!

Sorry, but you'll find the dimmer switch on the XJ mounted atop the column - not on the floor. The dimmer switch is right next to the ignition switch, anyone who's changed the ignition switch, has run across this thing.

I know it's an oddity, but the last time I lost the high beams, I tracked it to the headlamp switch, rather than the dimmer switch. That's not to say it was impossible - just where I was lead to.

It might take a little digging, but I still suggest upgrading the headlamp wiring while you're about it.

5-90
ohh yeah sorry I had my head in my a$$ Ive had a bout with quicksand lately
damn flu comes out the bottom quick and when it reaches top speed it feels like sand.......so I was wrong for once

Last edited:
5-90 said:
There isn't a relay, that I can recall, for the high beams on RENIX XJ's (1987-1990.) You've probably lost the headlamp switch, high beam circuit.

I don't recall how much the replacement switch was, but I did get it in the aftermarket, and it was a fairly easy swap (about 1/2 hours) with minimal tools.

This is common on older vehicles, just because all the power for the lights goes FROM the battery, TO the switch; and FROM the switch, TO the headlights.

Check out a replacement harness that will put poer to the headlamps through relays directly from the battery - that will save a lot of wear on the switch, and make your headlights somewhat brighter as well...

5-90

so i have to do what

Well, first you'll have to get a manual - or a set of wiring diagrams. If you don't have one personally, a trip to your local library should be productive...

Turn the lights on, and probe the connector for the headlamp switch. Turn on the high beams, and watch for a voltage change. If the voltage at the headlamp OUT terminal changes, start with replacing the headlamp switch.

If it doesn't change, move to the dimmer switch on the column. Turn the healights back to low beam, and check that output terminal and the high beam output (which should be zero, and the low beam should be about battery voltage.) Turn the high beams on, and the output should be reversed (zero at the low beam output, battery voltage at the high beam.)

In either case, if the output voltage is more than a full volt below battery voltage, the switch has excessive resistance and should be replaced anyhow - there is excessive resistance on the contacts (to verify, compare voltage IN and voltage OUT - if it's a difference of 1.0V or more, change the switch. Ditto the main headlamp switch.)

If the results from that are inconclusive, post the tests and results (and anything else you thought of) and let us have a shufty at it for you. I managed to track mine down to a three-volt drop in the headlamp switch - not enough to keep the low beams from functioning, but the full beams didn't work.

5-90

I had this happen on my 92. Low beams didn't work but the hi's did. I tried the simple thing first, replaced the headlamps with a extra set I had. No problems in over a year. JIM.

Could be the dimmer switch, or it could be the headlight switch. The headlight switch has a built-in circuit breaker that gets "tired" when it gets old. That allows it to trip more easily. The high beams use more wattage than the low beams, so the breaker may trip under the higher load.

If you have no highs at all, and the lows come on instantly when you flip the dimmer stalk ... replace the dimmer. If the brights come on, then black out after a few minutes/seconds, and the low beams don't come on instantly when you flip the stalk ... replace the headlight switch.

I currently suffer a similar problem - everything works, except the dimmer switch won't click into high, it just powers the lights until I let go. Then back to low.

In my case I'm sure it's a mechanical failure (the only thing I havn't replaced in the column.) I find the switch is a hard to find item - '90 XJ tilt saginaw column with multifunction is not locally available from Oreilly (Borg Warner DS144, out of stock,) Autozone (Wells - no listing,) and NAPA ("try Shemar on the net" - but there's no .com address.) Most parts listings show this year to be the only application.

If I learn how to pop the lock ring out of the groove I think I can do under two minutes getting to the turn signals . . .

Back