• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anybody swaped a 242 for a 231?

perez

NAXJA Forum User
i want to do this swap because the 231 is a more simple tcase and the sye is cheaper. i also herd that its stronger then the 242. jsut seeing if this is a bolt up swap. i know that i need to find one with a 23 spline input , i have the AW4 tranny. thanks for the feed back.... perez

i did it a few months back. simpler? they aren;t very much different on the inside....neither is very complicated. strength difference is negligible, that wouldn't be a deciding factor for me.

my main reason for swapping was so I could get a flat belly skid under my XJ for increased ground clearance, as the 242 hangs lower.

it's a simple swap, though

Yes, I did it. It is basically a direct bolt in as long as you have the correct spline count.

Also, do some searching... I recall some potential differences in input shaft lengths between years...

-jm

I didnt even change out the gate,only the bezel.

IntrepidXJ said:
if thew spline count matches, and the input length matches
Not true. When I did my swap I bought a t-case out of a YJ and it didn't bolt up because the input shaft was a different length. I am not to sure what years are different but there is a difference.

IntrepidXJ said:
my post was to have him make sure the spline count AND input length matches. i also ran into that problem on my swap.
Sorry, my bad, I meant to quote uvaldetxj

Back