• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel filter

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a call from the garage where my Jeep is.
He told me that changing the cap and rotor ( I alredy changed the plugs and wires) did not help my no starting problem...
Now they are adjusting the voltage ( I assume the MAP sensor voltage, because it is low...) and cleaning the throttle body.
He is also wants to change the fuel filter? I thought that the 97+ dont have a fuel filter, just a cloth around the fuel pump. Is this true? According to him, I have some water at the bottom of the tank and he wants to sell me some products, I think he mentioned dry ice and something else. Are these just gimmicks?
Thanks
Boris, still stuck in CT...

Alienspecimen said:
I just got a call from the garage where my Jeep is.
He told me that changing the cap and rotor ( I alredy changed the plugs and wires) did not help my no starting problem...
Now they are adjusting the voltage ( I assume the MAP sensor voltage, because it is low...) and cleaning the throttle body.
He is also wants to change the fuel filter? I thought that the 97+ dont have a fuel filter, just a cloth around the fuel pump. Is this true? According to him, I have some water at the bottom of the tank and he wants to sell me some products, I think he mentioned dry ice and something else. Are these just gimmicks?
Thanks
Boris, still stuck in CT...
Sounds good to me if it works. There is a filter above the pump in the tank.

Did the shop do any kind of trouble shooting or are they just throwing parts at it? The last shop I worked at we had to show exactly what we did so that repair parts were justified. Unfortunatley there are some shady characters out there that will rip anyone off they can.

How does he know there is water in the tank?

There must be a reason for the replacement of the cap and rotor? Did the mechanic check for spark yet? Is he getting power to the coil? Has the CPS been checked?

Just a few questions you might want to think about asking the individual working on your ride.

Good luck!!

chris

XJ Buzzard said:
Did the shop do any kind of trouble shooting or are they just throwing parts at it? The last shop I worked at we had to show exactly what we did so that repair parts were justified. Unfortunatley there are some shady characters out there that will rip anyone off they can.

How does he know there is water in the tank?

There must be a reason for the replacement of the cap and rotor? Did the mechanic check for spark yet? Is he getting power to the coil? Has the CPS been checked?

Just a few questions you might want to think about asking the individual working on your ride.

Good luck!!

chris
Supposed to be a reputable place in the rich part of the town...but so far they have been trying to get my money, I did not mention the attempt to flush my transmission...
According to them, they checked for spark and fuel, but have no idea how he cheked the water in the tank...I just want to get out of here...
Boris

That sock on the fuel pump can get plugged, it will not pass water or dirt.
My guess it the pump is running but the pressure is low.
As far as the water goes they see a lot of it.

Back