• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Electric seats?

Trick

NAXJA Forum User
I traded for a pos 89 cherokee and drove it home.

I need tons of help on it but right now I am trying to figure out how to get the seats back.

Both seats are power and he said they worked before he parked it but he robbed some fuses. There are only one or two fuses missing. One is for the power ant. and it just keeps turning the ant motor. Not sure what the other one is right now but it did nothing.

The fuse box has no fuse marked for seats and I do not have an owners manual. But all the fuses are good anyway.

The windows and locks and all that jazz works. There is not the slightest bit of noise operating the seat switches.

Any clues? The dude that had this MAY be 5'4" and about a 120#'s I am short but MUCH bigger around. :D
Thanks,
Ric

Most of the power seats are "fused" using a 30 Amp Circuit Breaker (as opposed to a regular fuse). Look to the lower left corner of the fuse panel on the drivers side kick panel...should be there somewhere. On some, the power locks and power seats are on the same circuit...on others it separate. Good luck...sorry I could not be more specific.

You can always check the power to any circuit with a volt meter...probing the wires at the motor.

I had the same problem when I picked up my '89 this summer. Pull the console and front carpet and look for the connector rusted/corroded off at the trans hump. The carpet padding gets wet, hold the moisture, and corrodes off the connector.

I soldered on a new connector, coated everytning in liquid electrical tape, and returned the carpet and console.

I just thank my stars the wire never shorted. It could have been interesting...

Back