• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airbag Problem

rogbrown

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 XJ and according to the Chrysler Factory Service Manual the
Airbag Control Module is located under the drivers seat mounted to
three bolts coming out of the floor and connected to a 20 pin wiring
connector/cable.

I looked under the drivers seat the Airbag Control Module was not
there. All I found were the three bolts with marred threads (it was
suppose to be bolt onto) and I couldn't find the 20 pin wiring
connector/cable anywhere.

After the key has been on for three or so seconds the Airbag light in
the instrument panel goes out like the Airbag system is functioning
properly. I took out the two Airbag fuses (#26 and #27) and then the
Airbag light stayed on all the time as I expected (which told me the
Airbag systems was not working).

Do I have a functioning Airbag system or not? If so where did the
Airbag Control Module go?

Thanks.

Roger

rogbrown said:
I have a 98 XJ and according to the Chrysler Factory Service Manual the
Airbag Control Module is located under the drivers seat mounted to
three bolts coming out of the floor and connected to a 20 pin wiring
connector/cable.

I looked under the drivers seat the Airbag Control Module was not
there. All I found were the three bolts with marred threads (it was
suppose to be bolt onto) and I couldn't find the 20 pin wiring
connector/cable anywhere.

After the key has been on for three or so seconds the Airbag light in
the instrument panel goes out like the Airbag system is functioning
properly. I took out the two Airbag fuses (#26 and #27) and then the
Airbag light stayed on all the time as I expected (which told me the
Airbag systems was not working).

Do I have a functioning Airbag system or not? If so where did the
Airbag Control Module go?

Thanks.

Roger

1. There was a recall which resulted in the airbag module being moved into the center console.
2. If you put the fuses back in and the light operates as normal (lights up during the start of the vehicle along with the rest of the lights, and goes out once the vehicle is running along with the rest of the lights) you should be fine.
3. What prompted you to look for it?

Thanks for the information. I'll pull the console and see if I can find it there.

I would like to put a switch on it like comes on the wrangler to cut it off when I am on a hard trail, so the bag doesn't depoly on the trail.

Roger

rogbrown said:
I would like to put a switch on it like comes on the wrangler to cut it off when I am on a hard trail, so the bag doesn't depoly on the trail.
:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:
Leave it BE! The newer XJ airbag modules are very smart cookies. They do not engage under a certain speed and I have not heard of them deploying when they shouldn't. I"ve rolled my jeep at slow speed and it didn't deploy. I know of people who layed their jeeps on a roof or on the side or fell of a ledge and it didn't deploy either. If you start messing with it though, you're going to increase the likelyhood of it deploying when it shouldn't or not deploying when it should. Anyways, if you want more info on that, search as the topic has been fairly extensively covered.

Thanks so much for the information. I just purchased my 98 XJ and didn't know anything about it and was afraid that it might depoly if I bounced down a rocky embankemnt.

Roger

rogbrown said:
Thanks so much for the information. I just purchased my 98 XJ and didn't know anything about it and was afraid that it might depoly if I bounced down a rocky embankemnt.

Roger
Nothing to worry about. There are quite a few here that wheel 97+ rigs with no problems with the airbags.

rogbrown said:
If it does deploy, you will have needed it. I have never (I say again, NEVER) heard of anyone's airbag going off on the trail while four-wheeling unless it was because they were actually in an accident...

Jim

Back