• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 4.56 STOCK gearing

HaleYes

NAXJA Forum User
I found one! 4.56 STOCK gearing

Through searching, I found that most 2.5L/automatic XJ's came with 4.10's. There were a few reports of 4.56's, but those reports were mostly " my friends ex-brother-in-law's girlfriends dad said...."

Well it is true. This tag is from a vac-disco D30 out of an 89 XJ. Have the D35 to match.
100_1920.jpg

Last edited:
I have various books with this type of info and they all list the 4.56's as an option from the factory. Not sure on what the engine/trans configurations were it came with but it could very well be stock.

Re: I found one! 4.56 STOCK gearing

Haleyes said:
Through searching, I found that most 2.5L/automatic XJ's came with 4.10's. There were a few reports of 4.56's, but those reports were mostly " my friends ex-brother-in-law's girlfriends dad said...."

Well it is true. This tag is from a vac-disco D30 out of an 89 XJ. Have the D35 to match.

Yes, they DO exist. Here's the one I snagged from my local yard last month....came off an 87 XJ Country edition, 2.5L/AW4. First and only one I've seen in 4 years of going junkyarding. Rear was a D35 w/ LSD (I left it there, but the '30 is going under my MJ along with a matching D44 in about 2 months:))
Jeff
D303.jpg

D304.jpg

Last edited:
I have an '87 MJ with the 2.5/AW-4 combo, and it has 4.56 gearing. I believe that, according to the info I put together from the Hollander interchange books, the 4.56 gears came with the AW-4 due to the reduced engine RPM's when the tranny was in "Overdrive".

2.5L and an AW-4? I didn't think that combo existed...but I have a gap in my info about what tranny was used with the little engines. TF904 behind the 84-86 I4 and V6 apparently, and 30RH after '94 or so...right?

From the drawings in the FSM I am pretty sure it is an AW4. These pics. are not real good, but here they are.
HPIM0026.jpg

HPIM0029.jpg

JIM.

Yes, that is an AW-4 with the 4cyl. bell.

xjnation said:
If someone one would be nice enough to get the part # off off that AW4 bell housing it would be very nice for alot of us

Scott88wagoneer, has the tranny now. I sent him a PM to make sure he'd see this. I'm sure he'll post it up if he can find it.

The part number for the 2.5L AW-4 torque converter housing is
8350-3706 from my 87-90 parts manual.
Jeep on!
--Pete

Pete M said:
The part number for the 2.5L AW-4 torque converter housing is
8350-3706 from my 87-90 parts manual.
Jeep on!
--Pete

now ow about the flexplate and the torque converrtor numbers......I should actually have all the parts in my hand by the end of neext week...sstay tuned!

xjnation said:
now ow about the flexplate and the torque converrtor numbers......I should actually have all the parts in my hand by the end of neext week...sstay tuned!
Where would the #'s be on the flex plate? Trans. or engine side? I'll see what I can do. JIM.

Back