• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Axel Markings

89BlackXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone tell me how to tell which rear axel is on my 89 xj. I have the factory sheet that was on the inside of the door panel and it says rear axel is code 172? Does anyone know which one that is. Also are there any markings on the diff cover itself to tell me...i saw a marking on my diff cover that says 350...does that mean i have a dana 35?

'89? then its gonna be a Dana 35 fo-sho.
the 350 you see should be a 35C for custom.
there should be a tag bolted under the two cover bolts on the left side of the cover in line with the axletube.

A little off topic but I thought I'd throw it out there. I know that only cherokees with the dana 35 have abs and all 8.25 and non-abs. How rare/strange is it to have a dana 35 and no abs? Is this common? Just curious. By the way its an '01.

my 1998 XJ has the 8.25 with ABS, so once again, Jeep shows that almost anything is possible. ( has h/p 30 in it from the factory, also.) it is also fairly common to find the d-35 w/o abs, too. The only one of my herd with d35/abs is the dead '96 model (it wrecked because the brakes quit- go figure).

noresttill said:
here is math

ABS=D35

Everything else is up for grabs.

Hell, the late 80's towing package included a D44

Ok well mine is a limited edition with the tow package and its an 89'.....So if it has a Dana 44 how would i be able to tell it from the D35? Does the 35C mean that its a dana 35 custom?

89BlackXJ said:
Ok well mine is a limited edition with the tow package and its an 89'.....So if it has a Dana 44 how would i be able to tell it from the D35? Does the 35C mean that its a dana 35 custom?

Maybe, it might be a D35 or D44 and yes you can tell the difference if you google image it, they are very different.

And it stands for custom.

the d-35 axle has a cover that is shaped like a lemon(kind sqished circle looking). the d-44 is more stop sign shaped. if your axle says "35c", then it is a d-35, the d-44 also tends to have a thicker cover on it. Now, just because there is hitch on the XJ does not automatically mean the rear axle is d-44. go and look at it. my '88 limited came with the d-35 AND the tow package, so there is proof again that Jeep built crazy stuff.

89BlackXJ said:

an '89 won't have a D44 unless someone swapped one in.

the 35c does mean Dana 35 custom, custom meaning it came from dana stripped down, the factory added the brakes and everything.

If you have the tow package and an auto, you may have 3.73:1 gears instead of 3.55
(but just because you have a hitch doesn't necessarily mean you have the tow package)
Edit: I need to learn to type faster.

'01 with a 35? double check that one. a 35 is a very round/oval cover.
an 8.25 is roundish but more hexagonal with a very distinct bottom lip/edge thats straight. the D44 has an iregular cover thats tall just left of center and tapers to thhe right.
....___
.../.....\
../........\
..l...........\
..l............I
..l.........../
...\......../
....\___/

Back