• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

found a cheap 9"

C85D4x4

NAXJA Member #1311
im going to get rid of the old 8.25
and i was going to go with a 8.8

but i now found a cheap 9"!!!
it needs a rebuilding
but this guy is willing to sell me it for $150
its out of a 79 f150

Should i get it? or just find a 8.8

and being that it is out of a 79 f150, what do i have to do to it, ex moveing spring and shock mounts and regearing it?

im going to do a search....on all the info on here....but i have 2 projects for school do tomorrow............and i just dont have the time right now

.....but this guy wants to know Now if i want to buy it !!

All i really want to know is if i should buy it or not?
thanks guys

C85D4x4 said:
im going to get rid of the old 8.25
and i was going to go with a 8.8

it needs a rebuilding
its out of a 79 f150

Should i get it? or just find a 8.8

and being that it is out of a 79 f150, what do i have to do to it, ex moveing spring and shock mounts and regearing it?

im going to do a search....on all the info on here....but i have 2 projects for school do tomorrow............and i just dont have the time right now

.....but this guy wants to know Now if i want to buy it !!

All i really want to know is if i should buy it or not?
thanks guys

here in utah 150$ is a fair deal for a bolt and go axle, one needing rebuild is a little high... whats it need for rebuild, if its just seals go for it. For example I found a Eaton H110 2.5 ton, detroit, and 5.14's, didnt cost me anything, its all about how bad you want it and what your time line is.

C85D4x4 said:
it needs a rebuilding

A bit high depending on how much rebuilding...

Junkyards around here have 9" all day for $50-$100...

a '79 F150 9" is also 5x5.5 bolt pattern so keep that in mind.

If it has 4.10 or lower gears and a locker and all it needs are seals, sure.

id buy it - the 79 has the stronger housing than the 76 and older, 31 spline shafts, bla bla bla

a total and complete rebuild of mine (exception to diferential bearings) cost something like 100 for new brake hard lines, new brake componenets (cylenders, shoes, springs...), and the necessary pinion seal...

the f-150 components have proved to be very cheap for me - including my front end stuff...

Well, it's certainly not a deal, 9" are a dime a dozen, especially if it needs work. It will be 5 on 5.5 so the bolt pattern is different, and it's full width so will be too wide in the back. Also, while they are good axles, they have the lowest pinion of any axle out there.

Don't get a 9" just because you found a cheap one, they're cheap every where. Get one because that's what you want.

Goatman said:
Don't get a 9" just because you found a cheap one, they're cheap every where. Get one because that's what you want.

Ditto on that. The 9 inch can be a great axle, but not if it will cost a pretty penny to make it fit with the rest of your drivetrain. The 8.8 will be newer, about as strong, match the wheel pattern, match the width, and you should be able to find one with 4.10s, posi, and disks. $150 may sound like a good price, but make sure you tally up ALL of the costs involved with installing it into your Jeep.
Jeep on!
--Pete

Back