• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

compression test procedure?

kshbaja

NAXJA Forum User
i've searched through the archives and found plenty of discussion about the results of compression tests, but not an actual procedure...

when running a compression test on a 97 XJ, is there a need to disable the EFI system? if so, is this via a fuse? which one? any other advice for someone running their first test on an XJ?

The way my dad always used to do it was like this:
Pull all the spark plugs.
Pull the coil wire.
Pull the wires to the ignition coil so the ECU can't try to fire it without a ground for all that high voltage energy.
put the tester to a cylinder.
Tell me to turn it over with the starter.
edit: A quick google search turned up this:
http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/comp.htm
It's a much better explanation and step by step than my words.

Last edited:
thanks for the response. the part i was unsure about was how to disable the fuel system on an XJ. i didn't see a fuse for the fuel pump.

could just unplug it at the tank. My 87 MJ has a connector just forward of the tank, and another in the cab behind the seat. I'm sure an Xj would have a plug somewhere.

All I've ever pulled is the coil wire at the coil, not at the dist. you might frizzle yourself if you do that. Youre not likely to have any significant fuel issues although you may be dumping some fuel into the cylinders. Start vehicle when finished to burn any excess off. If your pull all the plug wires at once many people would have a hard time getting them back on right.

If you dont disable the fuel system youll get better results on the last few cylinders becuase theyre selaing better with the gas.

Disable it.

Back