• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'97-'01 Gauge Cluster - Tech Info

Kittrell

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Alright, I thought I would put this info up for anyone that may need it sometime. I tore into a few clusters today just to see what was going on. And to possibly cannibalize the needles for my Police Cluster.

I figured out that the needles are not removeable. When you have it all apart, you can see that there is just no way. One good thing though is that the cluster completey disassembles. All of the electronics can be removed from the housing. So if you need a new cluster because your housing is busted; you don't have to worry about the mileage of the new unit. You can take all of the electronics from your old cluster and put it in the new housing. Also, if you are picky about stuff like I am; you can replace your needles. They do not come off individually. But the front face that they are attached to can be removed from all the other parts. So if your needles are all faded orange and almost white. All you do is find a low mileage unit, take it apart, and swap faces. Since the mileage is stored on the circuit board, you can put that in any cluster and it will show your true mileage. All you need to take the cluster apart is a few screwdrivers. It does not take much force for things to release. So you should be able to take it all aprt and put it back together without breaking anything.

Thats all I got. Here is a pic of the cluster completely apart. And also a comparison picture of the old faded needles in my police cluster and the bright orange ones in my spare 15k cluster. I was not able to change out needles because you have to use the whole face. My police cluster reads to 125 mph, where as the stock unit only goes to 100 mph; so this was not an option for me. For regular stock units though, it'll work just fine.

Parts.jpg

Cluster.jpg

dothedew24_7 said:
Niiiice.

Wish I would have had this a few months ago :D
:D

dothedew24_7, what were the issues (if any) you had with using the newer 99+ cluster in your 97-98 era XJ?

Great write up DJ!
btw, What year is your XJ? I noticed that both the clusters pictured are the 99+ style.

Last edited:
JEEPZZ said:

dothedew24_7, what were the issues (if any) you had with using the newer 99+ cluster in your 97-98 era XJ?

Great write up DJ!
btw, What year is your XJ? I noticed that both the clusters pictured are the 99+ style.

I have a '99. The 15k cluster is also out of a '99 and the Police Cluster is out of a '98.

JEEPZZ said:

The only problem I had was the hatch indicator, I just pulled the bulb out- works fine. :thumbup:

91 Jeep Project said:
I have a '99. The 15k cluster is also out of a '99 and the Police Cluster is out of a '98.
I know that somewhere around mid98 they changed to the newer cluster style that has the 'rear hatch light' and also the 'sentry ignition key light' on the cluster along with a few other minor differences that weren't on the 97-(mid)98 clusters.

Let me know how the police cluster works out for you.
biggthumpup.gif

Cool photo set 91! I tried blowing it up huge, but I couldn't tell if there are two light bulbs behind the smaller gauges (specifically fuel). I have an occasional partial light failure on the right side of the fuel gauge, and don't dare rip in w/o knowing what I'm up against.
In your opinion: Could it be a loose bulb? or a short of some sort? Or?
Not a huge deal, just a pain.
Thanx!
G

I've never dissasembled a cluster so I'm curous as to what the six little things are on the lower right hand corner of the pic?

gmars said:
Cool photo set 91! I tried blowing it up huge, but I couldn't tell if there are two light bulbs behind the smaller gauges (specifically fuel). I have an occasional partial light failure on the right side of the fuel gauge, and don't dare rip in w/o knowing what I'm up against.
In your opinion: Could it be a loose bulb? or a short of some sort? Or?
Not a huge deal, just a pain.
Thanx!
G

It's really not all that hard. The bulbs with the brown backs are the ones that light the gauges. You don't have to take it apart to get to them. Just take the cluster out of the rig and all the bulbs are acessible from the back. There aren't any wires back there, so if there is a short, it's gonna be on the board. And thats not gonna be fun to chase down. Try the bulb first and see where that gets ya.

scoobyxj said:
I've never dissasembled a cluster so I'm curous as to what the six little things are on the lower right hand corner of the pic?

The needles for the gauges are "spun" by little "motors" on the back of the face. Those pieces are just covers for the motors. They just slide over them, so they fall off when you take the cluster apart.

Last edited:
Back