• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swappin 4cyl in MJ to HO 6.

dyna

NAXJA Forum User
Ive found a 86 MJ longbed 4x4 4cyl ,stick. I have a 95 XJ 4.0 HO/auto. Is swapping out the 4 for my 6/trans and TC possible and be smog legal? anyone do this? More concerned about electrics/FI etc.

With a Pre-87 MJ you'll need to do some serious front end work. The engine bay was lengthened in 87 to accomodate the I6. You might want to look into putting a camaro 3.4 in it. Then you can use parts from a 2.8 XJ.
I'm sure it's possible to put a 4.0 in an 86, I imagine you'll need the entire front clip, and hood from a 4.0 donor. I'm not sure if the firewall was changed.

The key is to get all of the wiring harness, both engine compartment and complete dash, along with the ECU. You will basically just do a complete wiring swap. I am and experienced EE with years of vehicle wiring experience, I have patched together the wiring harness on a 4.0L Renix to a 2.5L vehicle. It was a pain, and patching in the HO computer will be an order of magnitude harder. Save your self tons of hassle and scavenge a complete wiring harness from the XJ. You should be able to use it with only a few splices for tailights and the such.

Sounds like a PITA, Its rare to see one on the road here a couple times a year let alone find a donor in a junk yard. Have to think on this one.
Thanks for the info.

Back