• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting problem and others.

ChairOhKey

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I posted this over at jeepforum but I didn't get very much input as I had liked, sooo this is my problem:

Last week it wouldn't start so I bought new battery and the problem was fixed. It drove perfectly fine until today. On my way home earlier, I noticed that the temperature guage was fluctuating from 0 to 210. It would drop from 210 to 0 and back up to 210 every so often. Thermostat? And then, just about 30 minutes ago I went and started it. It started fine, I let it warm up. I noticed that the temperature guage didn't move after 5 minutes but I never really looked at it anyways when I start it so I'm not sure if that is normal or not. But, I drove it to where I was going and when I got back, the car wouldn't turn over. It didn't sound like the battery was dead though. It just continued making the sound that the engine makes right before it cranks over. I waited a bit and I tried it again. It sounded like it was making some progress but it still wouldn't start. I started it again after waiting 5 minutes. It cranked over like it was brand new. I then shut it off again to see if it was a fluke but it ran fine. I've started it several times since then and it seems fine.

It was also around 35 degrees.

I think I'm gonna run out and see if it'll start fine again.

BTW, is the dark blue pearl from 97 and earlier the same as the patriot blue from 98+? And what would you reccomend for touch up paint?

Temp guage sounds like the sender going bad or somehting wrong with the connector. Check the connector, clean and reseat it. Then you might try a new sender, they're pretty cheap.
I'm going to take a guess that you have an automatic. If so then the NSS seems to be the most common thing keeping the motor from turning over. WHen it happens move the shift lever into neutral and try again.
There's lots of no start threads, you might want to search a bit to get a better idea of what your symptoms represent.

Thanks. I took it out again and it started fine. Drove it around a bit and shut if off and waited 5 minutes and it started again. Did that a few times and I can't reproduce it so I guess it's just being weird. It's been pretty cold lately though. mid 30s to low 40s.

Back