• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

waggie axle swap question

grand94jeepxj

NAXJA Forum User
I got an axle question and need some advice. I have a 90 XJ with the D30/D35. It has 6.5" of lift and 33" tires. I plan on upgrading to 35-37" with some fender triming. My question regarding the axles is do I upgrade only the rear D35 with a 8.8 Ford rear and hope the D30 will survive; or do I swap in a D44 and AMC 20 out of a full size Waggie to keep the same lug patterns. The waggie axles are free, but they need rebuilding. I can get them built for around $1300 with a lunchbox locker and 4.56 gears. I'd be looking at the same price or more for the 8.8 swap with regear on the d30. I realize the D44 and AMC 20 are moderately stronger, but these axles are free and I'm doing the install myself with the help of a fabricator. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. BTW, not a newbie to building Jeeps; just new to axle swaps under Xj's. Thanks.

grand94jeepxj said:
I got an axle question and need some advice. I have a 90 XJ with the D30/D35. It has 6.5" of lift and 33" tires. I plan on upgrading to 35-37" with some fender triming. My question regarding the axles is do I upgrade only the rear D35 with a 8.8 Ford rear and hope the D30 will survive; or do I swap in a D44 and AMC 20 out of a full size Waggie to keep the same lug patterns. The waggie axles are free, but they need rebuilding. I can get them built for around $1300 with a lunchbox locker and 4.56 gears. I'd be looking at the same price or more for the 8.8 swap with regear on the d30. I realize the D44 and AMC 20 are moderately stronger, but these axles are free and I'm doing the install myself with the help of a fabricator. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. BTW, not a newbie to building Jeeps; just new to axle swaps under Xj's. Thanks.

If it were me, I wouldn't be looking for any axle with less than 1.5" diameter (35 spline) shafts for running 37's.

the 30 would be a grenade, the d44 would be straining with 37" tires. The 8.8 would handle it with a stock 4.0 and 4340 shafts. The problem is that you would have to lock the rear and leave the front either open or just LS, because if you get in a bind where all traction is on one front tire and its locked you snap a front shaft.

bj-666 said:
and where might you find those shafts for and 8.8

Not sure what that means???

I may just stick with 35x12.50 swampers, but 37's were an option. So I guess give me suggestions or ideas for 35's with the waggie axles. Also, I plan on leaving the front open or maybe a true-trac up front. but definately a locker in the rear. As I said, the waggie axles are free. and the cost would be more for the 8.8 swap. Thanks

hey Burbon... SPOBI!!!
4340 in a SF c-clip axle is not available. in fact, 4340 isn't available in any SF rear axle. 4340 does not hold up well to bending stresses. the only alloy shaft you can get is 1541h which is aprox 20% stronger than OEM. Alloy USA does make a 4130 CrMo alloy shaft for rear D44's and they do feel that its strong enough since the bearing is pressed on instead of riding on the axle itself.

now, back to the question at hand.
I don't recomend anything larger than 35"s on the D30. Yes I do feel that 35"s are ok on the D30 with a locker and 4340 CrMo shafts. wheeling style can help dictate any changes in that suggestion. I have that setup and I run rocks and stuff thats very technical. I also never give it more that 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. of course mudd is a different story in which you need hp and wheel speed. then I would limit the D30 to 33" tires.
out back a D44 is good for 35" tires. I do recomend at the least, that you go with a set of Alloy USA's 30 spline CrMo shafts. then lock it and forget it. a 35" tire should hold up fine. for 37"s on a 44 you need at the least a large spline kit with 1541h allloy shafts. maybe even a HP 9".
The D30 is limited to 4.88 gears which means that youd be kinda gutless on 37" tires.

Rawbrown said:
hey Burbon... SPOBI!!!
4340 in a SF c-clip axle is not available. in fact, 4340 isn't available in any SF rear axle. 4340 does not hold up well to bending stresses. the only alloy shaft you can get is 1541h which is aprox 20% stronger than OEM. Alloy USA does make a 4130 CrMo alloy shaft for rear D44's and they do feel that its strong enough since the bearing is pressed on instead of riding on the axle itself.

Just to add a source for 1541h shafts, Dutchman makes a very nice 31 spline Explorer shaft. I have a primary and spare set from them, never a failure even under intense abuse.

sorry to hijack, who has a good price on 4340 CrMo shafts for the d30?

ok, this got a lil side tracked.

My question was not about a D44 rear, but about swapping both a full size waggie D44 in the front and an AMC 20 in the rear into a 90 Xj with 6.5" lift and possibly 35's. I know the Amc 20 has 28 spline 1 piece shafts. This set up seems plenty strong, but I was curious. Just how much abuse can the HP D30 take? I don't plan on wheeling hard. Just Uwharrie 2-4 days a month, and maybe some mud occasionally. I'm trying to stay away from the 8.8 swap because of having to re-gear the 8.8 and the D30 for 4.56-4.88 gears. It is difficult to find an iron D44 for the rear of an XJ locally. All I can seem to locate is the Alum. D44 from ZJ's.

you are correct, I should have said alloy axleshafts not "4340" for the flanged rears. I read about the 1541 shafts, and the differences several months ago and again earlier this week.

ths AMC 20 has a stout R&P but has weaker tubes, and only 28 splines. I cannot say it would be a good choice for 37's.

I have regularly broken shafts on the d-30 with 33 inch tires. and have witnessed a jeep in soft mud on 37's spit a spider through the cast housing of the d30.

go ahead and put the 44 in the front with 4340's and HEAVY u-joints (CTM, OX, etc.)

Ok, I gotta say something. The Waggy AMC20 rear is a 29 spline with a pretty heavy housing, one-piece shafts, and an 8 7/8" ring gear with a D60 size pinion. You can get a 33 spline setup for it, I don't remember from who off-hand, but I believe the locker involved is an ARB. The Waggy version and the MJ version are pretty similar in strength, only a bolt pattern difference. The housing, casting and tubes, on the Waggy AMC20 is a very strong unit. They can handle 38s and a fullsize Jeep truck with a 360. So I don't see the 37s on an XJ being a problem.
The front D44 if you don't think it will be strong enough either, you can also get a 33 spline shaft setup for it as well, also ARB for locker, or a Detroit from a Super 44 kit.
The brakes would be a welcome upgrade from the 30/35 setup.
I am going to upgrade the front 4.10 D30 that I have under my Eagle with a V8 and 35s to the Waggy D44 with 4.10s and convert my MJ AMC20 rear shafts to the 6 lug from the same Waggy. I like the easy option of being able to put manual hubs on the front for cheap.

At 6.5" with 37s the XJ is getting high. Have you thought about going full width? Gives you many more options..Dana 60, 70.... and will help balance the heep.

Thanks guys, these were the kind of answers I was looking for. I thought the waggy axles were wider than stock d30/35? I was planning on the Waggy AMC20 and 44 because they are free. the more I get into this I think 35-36's will be my best bet.

Back