• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another PT 4WD stuck! Jeep Mechanics in Seattle?

izmichael

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm not mechanically inclined enough at this point to troubleshoot this problem myself, but I went up skiing two weeks ago and on the way down when shifting from full time 4H, the light stuck on Part Time. I was not able to get it out of PT 4H and thus had to drive home. I limited my sharp turns and only encountered a few binding situations. I've researched a bit on this forum and others and tried doing many of the solutions, such as backing up for quite a ways, driving in gravel and pulling the TC lever,,etc. Now I was wondering what the hell I would be looking for to investigate the vacum hose connections and look at the general condition of the TC, as if I knew where that was located. Any of you guys in Seattle great jeep mechanics or know of any good jeep mechanics? I could pay a little, but would be able to trade for some architectural work if necessary. Thanks for any replies!!

mike
1994 Jeep Cherokee "Country"

Heres the best advice I could give to you: get a shop manual and read it front to back several times, hang out at forums such as this and Jeepforum.com, find an offroad club/group of guys to have pizza and beers and work on everybodys rigs.

izmichael said:
I think those are great ideas for long term preservation of my rig, but I need some semi-immediate help...
Go underneath the jeep and have someone cycle through the 2wd 4h and 4l positions. You will see how the linkage works. I bet you money that due to either worn engine and or tranny mount and our linkage bushings it won't disengage. Anyways when you observe the position that it needs to go into (direction) for 2wd, once the lever is back in 2wd position push with your hands the arm on the tcase and you should feel it pop into 2wd and the light should go out.

And if it wont "pop" into 2wd?
I spent all last Saturday trying to get my linkage readjusted after a t-case swap and I have 4wl 4wh and neutral and lots of wonderful grinding noises.

Finally pulled the front shaft so I could drive to work. I am thinking of pulling the t-case AGAIN and combining it with my old one to see if that will work.

Also I lost the speedo, 4wd lights and temp gauge. Grrrrrrrr.

Sting25 said:
And if it wont "pop" into 2wd?
I spent all last Saturday trying to get my linkage readjusted after a t-case swap and I have 4wl 4wh and neutral and lots of wonderful grinding noises.
Did you try to put it into 2H without the linkage being attached? does it get stuck and not wanna go in either?

I loosened the linkage and tryed to force it into 2wd by hand and I just get grinding :(

I get 3 distinct locations instead of 4 ,neutral seems very long.

Sting25 said:
I loosened the linkage and tryed to force it into 2wd by hand and I just get grinding :(

I get 3 distinct locations instead of 4 ,neutral seems very long.
Do you have an automatic? I might be a bit wrong here, but I think that with the AW4 you have to be in any position other then P to switch the tcase positions. Try putting it into N (make sure to set your parking brake and block the wheels) and then see if you can switch into the 2H. If not, I'd pull it and what's up with it.

Kejtar said:
Do you have an automatic? I might be a bit wrong here, but I think that with the AW4 you have to be in any position other then P to switch the tcase positions. Try putting it into N (make sure to set your parking brake and block the wheels) and then see if you can switch into the 2H. If not, I'd pull it and what's up with it.

Yes its an Auto I have done all these things I think its time to pull the t-case again :(

Any ideas on how the temp gauge and speedo are related?

Sting25 said:
Yes its an Auto I have done all these things I think its time to pull the t-case again :(

Any ideas on how the temp gauge and speedo are related?

Umm yanked on some wires while working on it? Although I don't see how you could have gotten temp wire unless you snagged it with the vent line of the tcase.

what are the chances you shorted a wire and blew a "guages" fuse or something of the like.

Back