• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.88 gears for a 93 2.5

jeepnfahey

NAXJA Forum User
I read some were that 4.88 gears are a good upgrade to make if you have a 2.5. Is this true? Will the 4.88 help me get out of the slow lane when i am on the highway? I have the stock 4.10's. What is the diffrence?

Youll get more grunt at the expense of top speed, youll be running more RPM's to go 65 with 4.88 gears which will end up hurting your gas mileage if you drive at excessive speeds.

Tire size???
AW4???
AX15???
LG62???
Blood Type???

When you ask for help, be sure to include all info needed.:wave:

If you were running 30" tires it would feel like you were running on 25" tires.
The difference between 4.10 and 4.56 is about 11% and between 4.56 and 4.88 about 7%. Or about 18%, the rolling diameter of a 30" tire is around 94" off the Jeep, 18% of that is around 77" (not exact, the scale is actually a sliding scale, but close). Or to put it another way, about the same difference between high gear and overdrive, but going the other direction. Or another way, it would take you about 400 RPM's more to go 60 MPH.
My numbers are approximations, so don't fry me too bad.

Back