• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ D30 in an XJ?

DDCxj

NAXJA Forum User
I searched but couldin't find the answer.

My d30 is ready for a replacement and we have a totaled ZJ at the shop that I can get parts off of. If the ZJ axle assembly will bolt right up then that's what I'll be doing.

So I need to know about the control arm mounts and track bar mount? Also, will the good parts from my axle fit the Zj, such as the axle shafts, hub assemblies, and brake parts? Does it matter if the Zj has ABS and my XJ does not?

Thanks

DDCxj said:

My d30 is ready for a replacement and we have a totaled ZJ at the shop that I can get parts off of. If the ZJ axle assembly will bolt right up then that's what I'll be doing.

So I need to know about the control arm mounts and track bar mount? Also, will the good parts from my axle fit the Zj, such as the axle shafts, hub assemblies, and brake parts? Does it matter if the Zj has ABS and my XJ does not?

Thanks
I believe that all the bracketry is same and it will bolt staright in. The ABS you can remove from the axle using a combination of the ZJ axle parts and your outer axle parts (brake components and or knuckles).
The upside with the ZJ being an ABS setup is that the ujoints are 297 instead of the weaker 260s.

DDCxj said:

Thanks

ZJ will be a low pinion D30. Not to mention the gear ratio will most likely be different. ZJs normally came with 3.73 gear ratios, though if you are lucky you can find 3.55 ratio ZJ out there to match your rear XJ axle ratio. If it were me I wouldn't swap out a high pinion D30 for a low pinion axle.

Thanks guys. I'll look at it close tomorrow at work. If it's low pinion then I'll just wait for an early model XJ to come along and shim the vacuum motor for now.

When I was driving on Turkey Day in the snow I put it in 4wd but the front diff kept engaging and disengaging and banging everytime it did it. The last bang it made didn't sound very good at all and sounded like I may have blown the diff into a few pieces but I haven't open it up yet.

I've been having this problem for a few months now and can't seem to figure it out. The vacuum motor is in good shape, its getting good vacuum, the shift fork is still good as is everything that could be checked in the diff without actually taking the gears out.

I'll just have to see what happens after I shim it.

DDCxj said:
The last bang it made didn't sound very good at all and sounded like I may have blown the diff into a few pieces but I haven't open it up yet.

it probably broke the collar inside the disconnect..... or sheared the teeth on it. pull the vac disco apart and check it out forst.

Back