• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem Starting My 00 XJ --- Help / Opinions Please

Ghetto2315

NAXJA Forum User
Here is the situation... after I bought my 94 XJ as my DD, I rarely drive my 00 XJ anymore. I would basically drive her when I come home every 3-4 weeks just to get her blood flowing. I have been doing this for 2 months now and everytime I have started her up, she would fire-up without a problem

To make a long story short, I came home today and remote started her to get her warmed up since its cold out now. First attempt to start uncessful, so was the second and third attempts. Its cranking but it wont turn over. I finally get into the driver seat to turn her on manually and also by giving it some gas at the same time.

It finally starts, but not before I have to give it constant gas on the pedal to keep idling at around 1100 rpms. After 3 or 4 minutes, I can let go of the pedal and she can idle by herself without stalling out

I warm her up to 210 degrees and reverse out, but not before it stalls out on me again...

I start her back up, give it more gas and eventually make it on to the street where I can drive her. After 10 minutes of driving, she feels fine and everything looks / sounds normal.

4 hours later I go back out to start her up again, and it happens again...

What is going on? Is it my battery?? I've had the same factory battery since the day I bought her in 2000.

Also, I've been on the same tank of fuel for 2 months now... does fuel go bad? Maybe something with the fuel??

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
If your cranking isn't slow, its not the battery. The alternator should charge the system to keep it runnin. Unless its really cold out, like 30* and below, Ive has some of mine not even power anything. Maybe the IAC or MAP sensors?

Ghetto2315 said:
Here is the situation... after I bought my 94 XJ as my DD, I rarely drive my 00 XJ anymore. I would basically drive her when I come home every 3-4 weeks just to get her blood flowing. I have been doing this for 2 months now and everytime I have started her up, she would fire-up without a problem

To make a long story short, I came home today and remote started her to get her warmed up since its cold out now. First attempt to start uncessful, so was the second and third attempts. Its cranking but it wont turn over. I finally get into the driver seat to turn her on manually and also by giving it some gas at the same time.

It finally starts, but not before I have to give it constant gas on the pedal to keep idling at around 1100 rpms. After 3 or 4 minutes, I can let go of the pedal and she can idle by herself without stalling out

I warm her up to 210 degrees and reverse out, but not before it stalls out on me again...

I start her back up, give it more gas and eventually make it on to the street where I can drive her. After 10 minutes of driving, she feels fine and everything looks / sounds normal.

4 hours later I go back out to start her up again, and it happens again...

What is going on? Is it my battery?? I've had the same factory battery since the day I bought her in 2000.

Also, I've been on the same tank of fuel for 2 months now... does fuel go bad? Maybe something with the fuel??

Thanks for the help!

Ghetto, some possible questions and culprits:
1) your command/remote start could be interfering with your ignition system (any way you can disengage it or shut it down completely?)
2) Do you have any smoke coming out the tail pipe @ start up?
3) What was/is fuel level when you noticed this?
4) possible clogged injectors
5) JET chip can also be suspect, remove and restart.
6) if you have original OE battery than I can tell you that it's seen it's better days and is due for a fresh one, if not the culprit it sure is'nt helping either.

XJ Saga said:
Ghetto, some possible questions and culprits:
1) your command/remote start could be interfering with your ignition system (any way you can disengage it or shut it down completely?)
2) Do you have any smoke coming out the tail pipe @ start up?
3) What was/is fuel level when you noticed this?
4) possible clogged injectors
5) JET chip can also be suspect, remove and restart.
6) if you have original OE battery than I can tell you that it's seen it's better days and is due for a fresh one, if not the culprit it sure is'nt helping either.

1.) I dont think its my remote start... the only way to shut it down is to unplug the main module

2.) No smoke, just warm exhaust fumes that I noticed since its cold out...

3.) I filled up full about 2 months ago and pretty much still am, maybe a tad bit lower, than full tank

4.) maybe I should try some Fuel injector cleaner?

5.) lol your Jet Chip story is now starting to scare me

6.) Thats what I thought, but it sounds like its cranking fine... maybe time for an optima red top??

Last edited:
Just my.02 but I have a 00 as well and was getting the same problem things to check fuel pressure on the rail with ignition on when running warm and running with the vacume line to the pressure regulator disconnected. I found that mine was low and replaced fuel pump. Also try disconnecting the crank position sensor and batt for 10-15 min reconnecting it and try again resets all the systems if your cps is starting to fail this may work and if it does you will need new cps. It wouldn't hurt to put some fuel stabalizer in you tank if you are not going to be driving it.

I had a similar problem with my 99. when voltage levels become too low the computers on the jeep get all screwed up. Disconnect the battery and let it sit for a few minutes to reset everything and then it should be fine. If it's not, charge the battery and give it another shot. Mine was fine after just disconnecting the battery although I replaced it within a few days to ensure that it didn't happen again

Ghetto, it is strange you have no CEL illum. I suspect ignition/electrical still, primarily battery.

Ghetto2315 said:
1.) I dont think its my remote start... the only way to shut it down is to unplug the main module

2.) No smoke, just warm exhaust fumes that I noticed since its cold out...

3.) I filled up full about 2 months ago and pretty much still am, maybe a tad bit lower, than full tank

4.) maybe I should try some Fuel injector cleaner?

5.) lol your Jet Chip story is now starting to scare me

6.) Thats what I thought, but it sounds like its cranking fine... maybe time for an optima red top??

I use to not drive my XJ for 2-3 month intervals. I did this about 2-3 times without fuel stabilizer. When I changed my fuel filter due to stalling, there was so much black crud plugging it all up. I'm super paranoid about using fuel stabilizer now. Maybe you can pour a bottle of those fuel system cleaners in to see what it does.

clean the IAC motor the get gummed up and don't like to work after they warm up it functions properly clean that pupy a little.

Happened again tonight and would not start this time without a jump

so I suspect I need a new battery since its been about 6 years

I am going to purchase a Optima Red Top this week... maybe tomorrow if time permits. I'm too tired to look right now so could anyone tell me what Optima Red Top battery I would use for my 00 XJ? A part # would be good or anything else that would help me find it easy.

Also, I heard that Costco has damn good prices on Red Tops as well...

The best priceon Optima's I could find when i got mine was Pep Boys. They were on sale for $109.

I have the same problem on my 98. Gotta keep it running by giving it gas for a little bit, then it will almost die if I ever let off the gas for the first minute or two of driving, especially if I come to a stop. I used injecter cleaner about 2k miles ago, it helped a lot until a few hundred miles ago. I think I can just use that again. But what is this about the JET chip? I have a JET stage 1 in there right now(with K&N intake, flowmaster 40, and rattling cat).

Is the JET chip causing this?

Ghetto2315 said:

It's quite likely so it wouldn't hurt to replace it. If that doesn't cure the problem, you'll have one good spare battery.
Another possibility to consider is there's a TSB concerning the sealing ring on the fuel pump module. The sealing ring has been known to fail, causing leak down of fuel pressure after the engine's been standing for some time. The engine then becomes hard to start with long crank times. You might wanna check it out:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb_list.htm#1400201

Just got back from PepBoys and purchased by Red Top (Part # Red 75/35) (Model# 9083561) for a total of $125, which includes the tax and a $8 care charge.

Do most places charge a core fee for batteries??

Ghetto2315 said:
Just got back from PepBoys and purchased by Red Top (Part # Red 75/35) (Model# 9083561) for a total of $125, which includes the tax and a $8 care charge.

Do most places charge a core fee for batteries??

Yep...they hafta....don't want em winding up in landfills,lakes,sewers,n crap like that....samething on tires...think it's called a "recycle fee"

Back