• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf spring Painting

Beachmonkey6

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got rust color leaf springs and im wanting to get them black again... so what should i do in order to get them black? i was thinking paint them... should i rub them down first with a wire brush, then paint them? Then What paint could i use to do this? Thanks. -Austin

I did a set with graphite paint the middle of the summer, but took them apart to paint them.
If I was gonna paint them on the Jeep, I'd probably try Rustolium BBQ paint. It's kind of half flat and seems to be pretty forgiving, when the prep isn't the best. I've used it on many motor parts and it seems to hold up well.

I bought 9 of the smallest cans they sell, in silver it has more fillers. But so far, Ive done about 75% of the floor, and only use 2.5 cans. Thats 2 good coats too. Havent painted under yet, but it should take less, because Im not planning on doing the frame, but we'll see! I will have extra, but it keeps for a while, and Im gonna do the cargo area in the spring....

Keep in mind you want to use a paint that isnt going to stick to itself, or it could impede your flex. I painted mine with powdered graphite I got at the local napa, I used one can per leaf pack.

Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way but I can't imagine paint sticking without cracking and peeling, to a surface that constantly flexes unless itrs a rubberized coating.

Back