• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric locks

ONX

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I want to convert my 88 cherokees locks to electric cause I am going to be putting in a really nice stereo I have manual locks right now whats the best way to convert them?

I'd check into the "hot-rodder's" supply houses out there - they both have retrofit kits and "smoothing" kits to eliminate the exterior door handles altogether.

It's also possible to go hold of a couple electric door shells from your model year (or close - 1987-1990, 1991-1996, 1997-1999, 2000-2001) ad recreate the wiring harness afterwards.

I'd not consider this the "end-all be-all" of securing your stereo - perhaps some camouflage or something might be indicated? After all, if you do something to attract attention to your ride, it WILL stand out and become a high-priority target...

5-90

Go to the bone yard and get some out of a xj, it is a simple job to switch them. Or try J.C. Whitney they have some fairly priced units that are universal type.

i would go with an aftermarket set-up, in my opinion the older XJ power locks are somewhat unreliable, but i think that is a wire harness issue not the actual mechanicals. you are spending the $ on a sound system, i'd throw the door locks right in with it as a package.

Check ebay. I have done a few cars and you can get the actuators for real cheap (less than $5 IIRC)

That set looks similar to the ones I had gotten from J.C. Whitney a few years ago. The set I had You could mount the switches where ever you wanted, they would also work without any switches at all. If one lock is locked or unlocked by using either the key or any of the manual locks from inside the car all the locks lock or unlock.

alpinetiburon04 said:
I'm definately going to have to get in on this. Are these locks reliable? What is the switch like and where do you put it?

The set that I linked was very reliable. I used them for over a year w/o any problems. Of course, if something stopped working, your locks would just go back to being manual. That kit doesn't have any switches. It has a master actuator. Whenever that actuator is locked, or unlocked, it locks or unlocks all the others. It worked out well. As soon as I unlocked the driver door w/ the key, all the doors opened for the passengers.
Billy

don't wanna hijack but figured i would ask a question instead of starting a new thread.
I've thought about upgrading my truck to power windows and door locks as mine are manual. It seems everyone i had talked to said that this is extremely hard and i shouldn't even bother. What do you guys think...?

If i go to a junk yard and find parts for my 98 chero and get all the parts plus the wires think it would be a hard job.

Matt

So now that the warm weather is back on it's way I'm buying a set of these. but I've got a question first. How do you put these in? I've heard the holes for the lock actuators are already in place on the door, but I took the paneling off of my pass side door and noticed something. There's no way to get inside of the door shell without taking it apart. There aren't any big holes in the front door shell like there are in the back doors. How the hell do you get the actuators in there and mounted? I can't even see the cables for the locks...

alpinetiburon04 said:
So now that the warm weather is back on it's way I'm buying a set of these. but I've got a question first. How do you put these in? I've heard the holes for the lock actuators are already in place on the door, but I took the paneling off of my pass side door and noticed something. There's no way to get inside of the door shell without taking it apart. There aren't any big holes in the front door shell like there are in the back doors. How the hell do you get the actuators in there and mounted? I can't even see the cables for the locks...

Under the panel, there is a rubbery material that is glued to the door. Poke around... there are holes in the metal under it. Once you find a hole, cut the rubbery material. Then just tape it up when you're done.
Billy

Back