• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing a broken axle shaft w/out taking out the carrier

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
So we were on the trail the other day and a guy broke his axle at the splines in the carrier..
tried the magnet thing and and it wouldnt budge
He ended up having to limp home
I got to thinking about it ..

scenario

you break a FRONT axle at the splines at the locker
so you pull the axle out (say its the drivers side..)
and then the axle piece is stuck in the locker.
trying to avoid pulling the carrier
out and all the mess

how about pulling the opposite axle and pushing the piece out through the other side
with some kind of bar theat would be long enough to reach all the way through to the piece and knock it loose, then fish it out with the magnet

would this work??
any compications Im not thinking of??

if you have an on board welder, make your self a long rod, slip it in, touch it to the broken shaft, tap the stinger to the end so it sticks to the shaft, pull it out

This can work, but certainly not all the time. You make it sound so simple. After multiple attempts once, I admitted failure. Jeff

tealcherokee said:
if you have an on board welder, make your self a long rod, slip it in, touch it to the broken shaft, tap the stinger to the end so it sticks to the shaft, pull it out

this happened twice in JV last weekend, once in a rear D44 with a spool, and once in a front D30 with an ARB. the spool has no crosspin so you don't need something real small to push from the other side. the ARB has a crosspin, so a thin CB antenna from the other side did the trick.

BrettM said:
this happened twice in JV last weekend, once in a rear D44 with a spool, and once in a front D30 with an ARB. the spool has no crosspin so you don't need something real small to push from the other side. the ARB has a crosspin, so a thin CB antenna from the other side did the trick.

Three times....My D30 broke the front long shaft on Clawhammer. I removed the other side to get the piece out....punch it through with a long screwdriver. Was pretty easy because my Trutrac doesn't have anythin in the middle to get in the way.

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
This can work, but certainly not all the time. You make it sound so simple. After multiple attempts once, I admitted failure. Jeff

I guess I could add that after finally getting the carrier out, I found the carrier bearing journal on the broken shaft side to be deformed and the carier bearing on that side broken too. Turned out that the shaft broke into chunks and the chunks messed up the inside of the bearing journal area of the ARB carrier and broke the bearing. So, the remaining shaft piece was really jammed in place. This break was no easy or cheap fix! I'm surprised the broken rear Superior 44 shafts shown in the JV pictures were apparently easily removed and replaced with new axle shafts. My broken shaft looked just like his broken shafts...all jaged and then rounded over from turning in the housing while broken. Jeff

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
My broken shaft looked just like his broken shafts...all jaged and then rounded over from turning in the housing while broken. Jeff

Don't drive on a broken shaft. ;)

Jes said:
Don't drive on a broken shaft. ;)

Yeah, I suppose that's the trick. I didn't actually know I had broken a shaft. I suspected it though. I only drove back to camp to assess the situation, but I do believe if it ever happens again, I'll be pulling things apart right then and there. Jeff

Back