• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'92 XJ no start. Sorry for beating the horse...

Dvipercop

NAXJA Forum User
I tried searching on this issue for a good hour or so with no real luck finding any specifics. About a week ago I went wheelin and managed to drown my alternator. I know this because the battery would not charge, and when I had someone try and rebuild it, he said the thing was toast. I got a new alternator and put it in. I started my Jeep and it started up just fine and idled flawlessly. I turned it off to change the oil, then when I went to re-start it after the oil change, nothing happened. I would turn the key and literally nothing would happen. I could hear the fuel pump engage, but there was no attempt at turning over. So I go buy a new starter (the one I had was going out anyways). I put that in and turn the key. Started up with no problem, roared to life. I shut it off again to wash the outside down, then try and start it again. Nothing. Same as before, fuel pump engaged, but no attempt at turning over.

For those that this might sound familiar to, what did you try next? I'm at a loss right now as to where to start. If the distributor was drowned, would that be possibly causing this? I just can't figure out why, after sitting for awhile with the battery disconnected, it starts right up. But if I shut it off, then try to start it again, nothing happens. TIA to any suggestions at all. I'm pulling my hair out! BTW it's a '92 XJ, 4wd, 4.0L, I6, NP231

Is it an automatic? If when you turn the key, the fuel pump engages, but there is no action from the starter, a prime suspect is the neutral safety switch. Try wiggling the shifter, or shifting from park to neutral and see if this makes a difference.

Well just before I read your reply I went out and tried to start it. It started right up. Yes it's an auto, not sure if I did anything to the shifter or not when it just started. I'll try that tomorrow though if it's acting up again. If that is what's causing it, what's a fix? Does it just need to be cleaned or something?

get yoiurself a lead of wire about 7 ft long with a aligator clip at the ends

the next time it wond start
turn the key to on
and attach one end to the + bat and then touch the other end to the + side of the starter ..if it fries up youi are prolly havin problems with the NSS

if youi drowned the alt you definitly got water in the NSS..
and believe me those things are touchy..My guess is its acting up cause of the water that got in it

perhaps rebuild/ clean it upif ya dare ..I have busted every one I tried to take off..

I fianlly just bypassed the NSS..

Where exactly is the NSS? Is it easily accessible? That'll be the first thing I check into tomorrow I spose.

Dvipercop said:
Where exactly is the NSS? Is it easily accessible? That'll be the first thing I check into tomorrow I spose.
It's a fan shaped switch on the side of the transmission. It can be removed and cleaned.

Dvipercop said:

Search archives here. There should be a lot of threads dealing with this, and rebuilding links as well. Just as an intro, it's on the pass. side of the transmission, it's made of plastic, and it's horrifically expensive to replace, but can be reconditioned fairly easily. If your Jeep is rusty, take extra care getting it off because it is easy to break. On this transmission, the NSS also has a shift controlling function, and includes the backup light switch, so you're pretty well committed to having a working one.

This might sounds like a dumb question, but do all auto xj's have a NSS? Cause I've drowned my jeep many times and have had no problems with it starting like dviper is talking about. It sounds like it's a popular problem. Oh and ryan that sucks.... good to hear that you at least got it home that night. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help out.

PoSxJ said:
This might sounds like a dumb question, but do all auto xj's have a NSS? Cause I've drowned my jeep many times and have had no problems with it starting like dviper is talking about. It sounds like it's a popular problem. Oh and ryan that sucks.... good to hear that you at least got it home that night. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help out.
Yes ALL XJ''s and anything else with an Automatic transmission, some Manual shift transmissions also.

Back