• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help With Manual Tranny

Samman

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, i have a 1990 XJ ( stock)with i belive the AX15 transmission ( it is a manual 5 speed) this thing is the hardest stick to drive in the world and i worry there is someting wrong with it

sypmtoms

1) will not go into first gear unless i'm almost not moving ( with the clutch fully disengaged of corse)

2) it is very hard to put into 2nd unless i'm moving slowly, i have to force it in when i want to down shift and going at say 45 km/h. Just lately on a cold morning i shifted from 1st to second and it wouldn't go in and made the buzz like i had grinded them, but them never again, very inconsistent.

these may be common things, but none of the sticks i owned have ever driven like this, and on top of this the cluch engages after i have disingaged in about 3/4 inch of pedal movement ( not a problem but i don't know how to correct this)

any help would be greatly appreciated as i don't want to take it to the mechanics

thanks

i would check the fluid if it grabs that quick off the floor. ax-15 transmissions can be hard to shift b/w 1st and 2nd when cold as well.

ya i check the fluid all is well. Maybe i wasn't clear though, it isn't engaging 3/4 inch off the floor just it will be completely diengaged then boom engagedin 3/4 inch of pedal stroke

You want to of course, check the fluid and don't put axle gear oil in there (gl5) it needs to be a sulpur free oil (synthetic Redline MT90 works good).

Its most likely your clutch hydraulics fluid is low or the cylinders are failing. Master or slave cylinder although if you replace one you should probably do the other, yours is probably an internal slave-throwout bearing type. I just did mine after having similar problems but it wasn't visibly leaking. You could also have air bubbles in the slave cylinder and need to bleed it.

Had same problem and found the slave/throwout bearing was bad and not actuating fully. ordered parts to fix and bam a day later blew parts of 3rd gear through the case. not the recommended fix for the situation

You most definitely have a clutch hydraulic system problem. Either the master cylinder or slave cylinder. The slave cylinder (inside the bellhousing) is the most common. You have to remove transmission to repair, so might as well do a new clutch while you've got it apart that far. Like stated above, check your fluid, it's probably low. Top it off with brake fluid and pump up the clutch, you will probably see drops coming out the bellhousing. If the fluid is NOT low at all and you have not been adding any, the problem is probably the clutch master cylinder bypassing internally.

John

A lot of the shifting problems that I had blamed on my AX-15 were fixed when I repaired the clutch hose and master cylinder that were bad on mine. Pedal feel completely changed, and no more grinding while trying to change gears. My ax-15 is a bit stiff on a cold morning, that just seems par for the course. But I would certainly check out your clutch system, it made a huge difference in my truck.

I also have a 1990 5 speed, and have a similar problem, except that mine often won't go into any forward gear when it's stopped. I have to either put it in reverse and back up a few inches and then put it in first, or put it into first just before I stop.

Last edited:
My '87 Comanche is the same way, with the BA10/5 Peugeot tranny. It's a clutch problem, not a tranny problem. In my case, I know (through a coincidence, not because they told me) that the previous owner blew the clutch hose and had it repaired at the local gas station. Dealer says the job is totally screwed and needs to have the clutch replaced at this point, which I can't afford to do ... so I keep on truckin'. On summer days when the engine is warm, I have to either shift into first as I approach a light and leave it there (which I don't like to do), or shut off the engine to pop it into first gear, then start the engine and drive away.

Eagle said:
My '87 Comanche is the same way, with the BA10/5 Peugeot tranny. It's a clutch problem, not a tranny problem. In my case, I know (through a coincidence, not because they told me) that the previous owner blew the clutch hose and had it repaired at the local gas station. Dealer says the job is totally screwed and needs to have the clutch replaced at this point, which I can't afford to do ... so I keep on truckin'. On summer days when the engine is warm, I have to either shift into first as I approach a light and leave it there (which I don't like to do), or shut off the engine to pop it into first gear, then start the engine and drive away.
Yeah, I totally lost the clutch on my MJ when the old peugeot OEM hose gave way. I got the proper hose for the tranny and it worked fine for a week, then the MC had air in it. So I replaced the master, waiting to see if I have more problems, then I'll do the slave. Anyway, yeah, I know what it's like to shift with NO clutch for a day, it makes the tranny angry when powershifting at 2K RPM.

Back