• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 - no hazards - has signals

DnD

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for a little help here on my wife's 97 XJ. Searched but didn't find exact symptoms, or not using matching terms to find what I need.

Hazard's have stopped working, but the turn signals are fine. All fuses are good in both blocks. Bulbs are fine too. I picked up a replacement flasher, but have since learned that it is a combination unit used by the signals as well, so I doubt that's it. You can hear the unit clicking away, lower left of the column, when using the turn signals.

I'm leaning towards the switch on the steering column unless someone has a better idea. I can only imagine what DC wants for that switch assembly due the multiple functions it covers.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Hmmm, I'd really like that to be the case, but it goes against everything I've found here in other threads and in the FSM. Any chance your thinking of a year other than 97? If you're right, where is the hazard flasher located?

Okay, I'll work with that then. Can you shed some light on where the Hazard relay is? My FSM indicates a combination flasher for Turn Sigs and Hazards located behind the lower left panel, just left of the knee knocker, mounted to the diagnostic module above the OBD2 plug-in port. I bit the bullet and replaced the multi-function switch in the steeering column yesterday, with no change in symptoms.

Thanks for this guys.

langer1 said:
What's the rest of your XJ model?

Here goes -

97 XJ Sport 4.0L/auto/242/8.25/4-DR
Dark Blue
4.5" lift - 265MTR's on Rubi Moabs
4.56's and ARB lockers F&R - Crane covers
ARB w/9K Warn Magnum & PIAA 940's
Kevin's sliderz
K&N FIPK, Banks header (ceramic coated), 2 1/2" CarSound cat and FM70
Accel coil and wires
Optima Yellow Top
Stereo and rear bumper/air tank/tire carrier in process

Cut and pasted so info overload but there it is and she loves it. :laugh3:

Ok there are two fuses that power the combination flasher, one is Fuse 12 (10a) from the ignition (Run) in junction block the other is Fuse 20 (15a) In power distrubution box.
The 15amp is for the hazard lights, the 10a is for the turn signals.

I agree completely and both those fuses are good. Fuse 20 (15a) for the hazards in the Power Distribution Centre has constant current to one side.

Shoot my thinking down if I'm off base here. Fuse 20 in the power Distribution Centre should have in coming power at all times, which it does, as the hazards must function even if the key is not in the vehicle. Fuse 20 is good and has been replaced with a new one which made no difference. Therefore current from the battery will flow to the PDC through Fuse 20 on towards the Multi-Function Switch in the steering column. Said switch is new so I hope it's good. Then current should flow to the combination relay. This relay acts as an intermittent breaker for both the turn signals and the hazards, right? It makes the lights blink. The signals work fine but the hazards don't even come on steady, nothing. Does the signals working indicate the combination-relay is good? It's about all I can think of at this point short of bad wiring, for which there is no reason.

At this point I'll probably replace the relay even just to rule it out. The only hassle is the access route is to remove the knee blocker and reach in and that's where the alarm installers secured the brain box etc. so I can't fit my mitts in there without relocating all that spaghetti.

Thanks again guys,
Dave

I'm thinking a broken connection between the Multi switch and the flasher.
I thought you replaced the flasher, looks to me like the relay/flasher must sense the load when the hazard is selected.

Last edited:
Well, not what I wanted to hear, but it is a possibility that makes sense. I guess I'll tear it apart and swap the relay on Saturday. If that doesn't work, I guess it's conductivity testing while it's apart, OH JOY!

I appreciate the help. At least I didn't miss something obvious. Although a simple fix would have been nice.

:cheers:

Okay, to close this one off, maybe add to the archives and help anyone that has this happen in the future. I swapped the combination flasher out with a new unit and all is good now. There is in fact a single flasher relay that handles both the signals and hazards located just left of the knee knocker panel, at least on my wife's '97.

Thanks again to langer1. :cheers:

DnD said:
Okay, to close this one off, maybe add to the archives and help anyone that has this happen in the future. I swapped the combination flasher out with a new unit and all is good now. There is in fact a single flasher relay that handles both the signals and hazards located just left of the knee knocker panel, at least on my wife's '97.

Thanks again to langer1. :cheers:
thank you for the follow up. I have been following this thread as I have had similar problems as you. I priced a combination flasher just yesterday. Encouraging. thanks again.

Just had the same symptoms/problem with my 97XJ.
The opening on the top of the multi function switch where you move the hazard switch allows dirt to get inside. A little electronic contact cleaner and compressed air did the trick.
Rick.........
97FSM states only one flasher for both hazards and turn signals. I did not have to go that far though.

Last edited:
Idiot Wind said:
thank you for the follow up. I have been following this thread as I have had similar problems as you. I priced a combination flasher just yesterday. Encouraging. thanks again.

Hope it works out for you.

Ricker said:
Just had the same symptoms/problem with my 97XJ.
The opening on the top of the multi function switch where you move the hazard switch allows dirt to get inside. A little electronic contact cleaner and compressed air did the trick.
Rick.........
97FSM states only one flasher for both hazards and turn signals. I did not have to go that far though.

Good tip, I wish my issue was solved that easily. While I did suspect the switch because the flasher was still operating the signals, a new multi-switch made no difference. There goes $100, but now we've got a trail spare. HMMM a trail spare turn signal switch, just what everyone needs in the spares box.
:repair:

Back