• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

redoing the interior with pics of peel'n'seal. Need advice on rubber firewall mat.

lilredwagn

NAXJA Forum User
The inital idea was to pull the carpets and herc the floor to check on/fix/prevent any rust, as my carpet has been soggy often.

After getting the interior pulled out, I realized this would be my last chance at sound deadening.

Fortunately, there was no floor rust. Unfortunately, I am a cheap bastard, and I decided to go the peel'n'seal route.

In the middle of that, thanks to the kind folks here, I have decided I am going to put a "stealth" sub in the cubby.

I have not figured out how to deal with the rubber mat at the firewall, however.

I know not to cover it, and I do intend to keep it, but I would like to get my peel'n'seal and herc underneath it. I have no problem with the mechanical or time consuming prospect of thoroughly removing the dash to get it up - BUT this is my DD and it needs to stay running. I can unbolt and rebolt the gas pedal as necessary, but the center part of the dash that is holding the rubber mat in looks like it's some pretty solid stuff.

CAN I remove this center portion to properly get at the rubber mat without making my jeep undrivable? Given the fact that it has taken several hours to get as much peel'n'seal as I have in there now (plus prep, prime, and herc), I forsee driving without a dash for several days. Do I just take it apart, plug the vac lines, and drive away with no prob, or is doing this "right" going to be more than I bargained for?

Here's some pics of where I'm at nowwith the peel'n'seal(click for fullsize):

and a really crappy picture of the mat:

Re: redoing the interior with pics of peel'n'seal. Need advice on rubber firewall mat.

wow!!!!that could be why my xj is so loud i took that out with the carpit.just pulled and yanked and cut it till it was almost all gone except for the part way up in the dash.

Re: redoing the interior with pics of peel'n'seal. Need advice on rubber firewall mat.

time to change the batteries in that mag light.

My .02 is that if you do intend on removing the dash, do not plan on driving it until you put it back in. This is just from my own experiences. Possible to do with it out? Worth the time to get it work? I say no... spend that time to put your deadener down and then reinstall everything properply. JMHO.

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

When I did mine I ran it up to that point and stopped.
P1310045.jpg

The peel and stick kills the sheetmetal rattles and vibes, add a layer of
the composites ( http://www.b-quiet.com/lcomp.html )to the floor for real quiteness. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/Oldmanxj/P2120058.jpg
Works great. Have fun.

Don't slack off and not do the firewall. I did the same thing to mine (of corse there was plenty of rust repair involved) but I did something similar to above (I went as far up the firewall as I could without removing the "plastic thing", and now the only thing I can hear in the Jeep is the engine compartment (where as I used to only hear the fuel pump). I WISH I would have completely covered the firewall in the sound deadener....

Thanks for the advice guys, I guess I'll just have to bum a ride to work for a couple days then :)

Also, Oldman thanks for the pics - I intend to herc on top of the sound deadener - wouldn't the be-quiet flex too much and cause the herc to crack? Did you herc yours, and if so got any pictures?

Thanks!

where to get the peel and seal? I'm going to be hercing the MJ cab sometime soon.

87manche said:
where to get the peel and seal? I'm going to be hercing the MJ cab sometime soon.
Picked mine up at Lowes. 6" x 25' for about $13

I've used 2½ rolls to cover what you see in the pics with a single layer. If I do the inside "cubby" on the other side, you could probably call it an even 3 rolls for everything behind the front of the rear seat, so I would guess 6-7 total rolls. (I guesstimated 4, so I'll be heading back to the store soon :D )

Edit: found in another forum that the lowes part number is 154017 if you need to call around for it - apaprently not all lowes carry the stuff.

Also, after taking great care to line up the seams, I have just seen mention elsewhere that proper installation involves overlapping the seams 1"

Not going to research that further right now myself, but you might want to look into that.

Last edited:

main page: http://www.soundproofing.org/index.html

hoodliner: http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/hoodliner.htm

A running (or lineal) foot is 48" width, 12" long so you have to adjust when you price their product that way they sell it to you in 4 sq foot sections.

You can get 4 sq. feet @ 1/8" thick for $5.45. Compare dynamatt at $20.00 for two 11" by 11" panels or $10.00 per sq. foot. or $1.36 per square foot. its a fricking steal! This stuff is designed to be flooring, designed for sound deadening properties, is marine quality and FAA aproved. I have not ordered yet but it looks like good stuf. Comes in all sorts of thickness' up to 2 inches thick!!

price page: http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/prices.html

I'm kinda jazzed about this stuff:

http://www.quietcoat.com

lays up hard, sandable, paintable, resists up to 350 deg F, no off-gassing.

Apply it and put your rhino liner type stuff on top.

No personal experience with it yet, found it on another forum.

TTT

I was just going to post about this but did a search and saw this.

We are pulling the nasty carpet out of the XJ and putting liner down in there. We got to the front and I saw that the rubber dash mat is there. Underneath the mat on the Passenger side is a plastic bag with a white piece of cloth insulation, over top of a black thick wire. What is this wire and any ideas what to do with it? It is right where the passengers feet would be. Is the insulator there for the heat I would think?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

lilredwagn said:
Picked mine up at Lowes. 6" x 25' for about $13

I've used 2½ rolls to cover what you see in the pics with a single layer. If I do the inside "cubby" on the other side, you could probably call it an even 3 rolls for everything behind the front of the rear seat, so I would guess 6-7 total rolls. (I guesstimated 4, so I'll be heading back to the store soon :D )
Thanks for the estimate. I'm going to get 4 and hope that's enough to do the cab.

Back